Hello, first time computer builder =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleotheo

Solid State Member
Hello, I was hoping somebody could help me with my attempt at building a computer.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced computer that can run games like COD4 smoothly.

I put together a grouping of things myself: ImageShack - Hosting :: compspecsxw1.jpg
-I'm getting 4 gigs of ram, 4x1g

But I was hoping somebody could help me out and tell me if I'm missing anything crucial.

go with SATA HDD
and SATA Optical
unless that few bucks matter to you, then sure, get IDE
smaller cables = easier cable management

Check your motherboard and see if it already had 5.1 sound(mine does but didnt relise untill i brought a sound card), same with the usb and firewire cards, they might already be on, the money you will save could go to another game or moniter ect, unless your not that fussed about saving money.

OS: I don't like Vista very much, however is it necessary to get 64bit for the memory to work or could I just get Windows XP/Vista 32 bit?

Memory: IS Crucial... crucial? I know its a very good company, however the brand I picked is on sale for $45 for 2x1g.

I don't know much about hard drivers, Do you believe Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Would be better?
Drive: Would this ASUS be a lot better? Newegg.com - ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

My graphics card I already own, its a Geforce 8600GTS I won in a raffle. Its PCI express

I would also love if somebody could help me out. I think everything matches up with my motherboard, however I wanna be certain.
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030&Tpk=ABIT%2bIP35%2bPRO%2bLGA

OS: I don't like Vista very much, however is it necessary to get 64bit for the memory to work or could I just get Windows XP/Vista 32 bit?

xp/vista 32 bit for anything ~3gb and under
if you want more than ~3gb of ram on your system get 64 bit

xp/vista 32 bit for anything ~3gb and under
if you want more than ~3gb of ram on your system get 64 bit

But from what I hear 64 bit does not have awesome driver support and even support 32 bit drivers well. The benefits don't seem that superb, but feel free to tell me otherwise :happy:

When it first came out this was true. But if you are building a new machine, the 64bit drivers are just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom