Advice on this laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjlambert

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Can anyone offer suggestions/advice on this laptop? Seems like a decent deal but I'm not sure about a few things. The processor speed seems a bit low (might prefer a 2.0ish), not sure if the hard drive will be a decent rpm speed (didn't see it anywhere), and I don't know a ton about laptop video cards, especially the ATI.

NCIX.com - Buy Acer 5720-6279 Core 2 Duo T5250 ATI 2600 512MB 2GB 200GB 15.4IN WXGA DVDRW Vista Premium Notebook - LX.AMC0X.086 In Canada.

Mostly going to be used for general computing/surfing/Word but I also play WoW and would like to get a laptop that could manage it relatively well if the price is right.

Thanks for your time.

Kevin

If you're going to be gaming, like WoW, the three biggest factors you want to focus on are:

1) Video Card
2) Processor
3) RAM

I'd see if you can stick a higher grade processor in there, but aside from that, it seems to fit your purposes just fine.

Thanks for the advice,

I also came across a good deal at Future Shop (which normally makes me flinch) but it seems ok. The processor aside (again 1.5) is this a better option? A lot comes down to the difference in the vid cards I think (ATI Radeon HD 2600 256 vs. nVidia 8600M GT 512).

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10095331&catid=25315

Thanks

I would go with the 8600M GT simply because that card will last you longer in terms of games and will cost you less in the long run. You may see a new game in the future you really want to play but requires the hardware to make it happen. Always good to go with the better card. I'd recommend at least 2.0Ghz for the processor, but the fact that it's dual core will also help to balance the performance, so it may not be a paramount feature.

Yeah, the price is definately decent, I figure. Good vid card which should handle most of the work of the game, perhaps compensating for the mediocre processor. Still, it is a dual core.

Question: Could the processor be replaced or are they pretty securely attached to the mainboard?

They usualy can be replaced, but use a different socket and are more expensive.... I have a 1.4Ghz Core 2 Duo on my lappy with the 8600m and it plays games rather well.

This seems pretty nice too:

Newegg.com - ASUS F3 Series F3KA-X2 NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58(1.90GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 667 120GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 - Retail

Drop in an extra gig of RAM and it seems quite nice for the price as well. Not sure about going AMD, though it's 1.9 which is faster than the 1.5 I posted on the acer above. Right now I'd say I'm between this and my original:

NCIX.com - Buy Acer 5720-6279 Core 2 Duo T5250 ATI 2600 512MB 2GB 200GB 15.4IN WXGA DVDRW Vista Premium Notebook - LX.AMC0X.086 In Canada.

The acer does have a much bigger L2 cache though....

Aaarghh! So hard to choose....

Out of thise two I would go with the asus. The acer might have a bigger l2 cache but asus is the way to go. I worked for a company called Altex Electronics and acer was all we sold in the time I worked there I saw and heard nothing but bad complaints. The asus laptop would probably be a lot better built than the acer. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom