Hitachi 7K200 or WesternDigital Scorpio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamMasterClay

Solid State Member
I hope I am not breaking TOS or anything by asking this.

I recently purchased a new computer. I ordered a Gateway E-295C (C-140) tablet pc. It is scheduled to arrive next week. (for more details on my order, please view this forum, also specs of my computer are in my sig)

I am looking to upgrade the hard drive in the tablet. I would like to order by tomorrow, so that I will get the HDD around the same time as the tablet, and can do a clean install of Vista. My number one priority when ordering this tablet was performance, and that is the same when choosing a HDD. My second priority is storage. I think I've narrowed it down to two drives; the HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 HTS722020K9SA00 (0A50940) 200GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM or the Western Digital Scorpio WD3200BEVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - OEM. If there is anything better please let me know.

I have been hearing mixed feelings between the two drives. Some people say the 7200rpm will win hands down no matter what, others say that due to higher density, the 320GB will be about the same performance. What difference would I notice, if any between the two drives in my particular tablet. Also, how do heat, power consumption, and noise compare?

Thank you very much for your time and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Even at 5,400rpm I would go with the WD drive over anything by Hitachi. I just services on case where the drive could be read from but nothing installed to it including the attempt at first to repair install and then see a fresh install of XP on it. Replace the 80gb model with the 250gb WD model used for storage and Windows went right on. That's one complaint about the many heard about the brand being poor quality.

I second that about the WD. I have been using them exclusively since 1993. I would also buy from newegg.com

I was just asked to look over two systems for the exact same problem on two consecutive days to see the exact same problem with one by each brand. This is where that gets fun. On the first an old WD ide about 5+yrs. old was loaned out when the owner was too frustrated to try again to get XP on a sata drive. Windows would lock and a repair install also froze yet the drive could still be easily read!

The second system was seeing the exact same only with a Hitachi 80gb ide model just about a year old. "Everything" was copied to(fortunately for that) the WD 250gb ide drive in use for storing files. I told the owner of the second system about the WD lasting all those years through multiple cases while the recent Hitachi failed in the first build!

The WD now safeguards a ton of family photos and other personal things until eventually being backed up on data disks. The lesson besides going for the better brand is to be smart about making frequent backups just in case of...?

agreed. i've never seen someone come in with a hdd issue and have it be a wd drive. mostly maxtor and samsung.... boo samsung.

Surprisingly that was the first WD to see failure here since getting custom building back in the 90s! I was asked to look at a Packeard Bell in 1999 and found the 1.2gb Seagate drive was totally lifeless and replaced that with a WD 1.4gb model then. According to a recent inquiry about that old system the WD was still working!

I couldn't comment on Samsuang as far as drives while I could on other household electronics like tvs. "crapola" there! WD drives usually stand out since the manufacturer holds a higher standard of quality control while others being seen now are a simple rush to fill inventories being new to making drives as an additional item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom