PCI card OCing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
I know I know PCI sucks etc etc.

Anyway I have a BFG 6200 256mb PCI graphics card.

When I use Rivatuner to overclock the memory it works fine up to 475 from 410(400 is the norm for the other brands). I can't tell really if there is any improvement though. At 480 it crashes. If I even touch the core clock though even by 5 mhz it crashes or doesn't work properly.

Is there any reason for this or is it simply the way the card works.

I picked the card because it supports pixel shader 3.0 though it can't really run it that well.

Any PCI card runs all modern games poorly. Even with an OC on that card, you won't notice a difference. If you plan on gaming, you will need a new rig.

Any PCI card runs all modern games poorly. Even with an OC on that card, you won't notice a difference. If you plan on gaming, you will need a new rig.

I do but I got this card to hold me over until I can afford a new rig. Otherwise I was stuck without ANY games to play. At least this way I can play Team Fortress 2 on mid-high settings.

A lot of people said to just put that $70 towards a new PC but I can't afford the rest of the money for like 6 months to a year and I'd rather not wait that long to have anything to play.

Anyway to answer my question is it normal that I can't overclock the core clock at all? Even if there is no real difference I like getting the best out of my tech.

It is not surprising that you cannot overclock the core at all. The overclockability of cards vary. Some cards overclock very well, while others are duds in comparision. My Sapphire x1950PRO, while being an excellent card, is for some reason a terrible overclocker. I only get 20mhz out of the core and can't touch the memory without it crashing.

It is not surprising that you cannot overclock the core at all. The overclockability of cards vary. Some cards overclock very well, while others are duds in comparision. My Sapphire x1950PRO, while being an excellent card, is for some reason a terrible overclocker. I only get 20mhz out of the core and can't touch the memory without it crashing.

I thought as much but I figured I'd ask. Like I said the memory seems to overclock decently. Its an old card so it wouldn't make a huge difference anyway but it overclocks like 15-20%. Like I said though the core clock refuses to budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom