Attempting to back up C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
ok, well, finally figured that the only way to save this pc from complete destruction of it's OS, I have to... destroy it's OS! Full WinXP sp2 reinstall. so I went and tried backing up files. backup was 8.2 GB!!! most of this (approximately 75% or better) is music my girlfriend downloaded off either aries or limewire. so my question... is it possible to make a few zipped or compressed files and take this size down? is there any other ways to bring the size down without deleting all that music? one more q. I used a password tool to get the XP key, will it work with my disk? (windows was already installed when I bought my 80$ computer) thanks in advance for the help

Get an external HDD for the backups, or just a spare internal one. Whichever you prefer. YOu can get some fairly cheaper ones (but still good quality) off of newegg, and sometimes stores like Bestbuy have specials on 'em. And as for compressing them... RAR compresses more than Zip, but it still may not be muched (since the files are already compressed music files...there's not much more to compress).

As for the key... There should be a product key sticker on the side of the case that has your XP key.

hmmm.... ok, thanks about the answer for the compression. the product key issue... I bought a used computer with legit windows XP on it. there is no sticker for the code or anything, but like I said I got the key from a password recovery program.

you have to have the right xp cd for it to recognize the serial. oem works with most keys

Eric means that you have to make sure its an OEM serial vs a Retail serial. It's most likely an OEM, though.

You can also just d/l the disc that you need for free...which is legal...since its the serial that M$ is mainly worried about you paying for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom