new parts pata problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonic_Fate

Beta member
i am right now ordering parts that should work and everything, the only problem i have is, i want to use the same hard drive and cd rom that i had in the pc i currently own, which are both PATA, there is only 1 Pata connector on the mother board in which i just noticed, is there a way that i can connect both of my pata devices to that one pata connecter? i really do not want to have to order another cd drive. :(

Yeah, get yourself an IDE cable with one master and one slave output and you can run two devices on one IDE controller. Just get a long cable because length might be an issue, or at least just move your cd-rom drive down the 5.25" bay enclosement to bring it closer to the hard drive. Likewise, move the hard drive up the hard drive enclosement to bring it closer to the cd-rom drive so that both are close to each other and you might be able to use the standard 18" IDE cable, otherwise, just look into getting a 24" or even maybe a 36" cable.

Since an ata cable will only work well with 133 tops, limit the harddrive to 100 and the dvd/cd to 33. If you have the harddrive in 133 mode it will not run stable with another device hooked up in the same cable. incase u didn't know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom