Laptop Wireless problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0mmun1st4lyf3

In Runtime
So yesterday I just realized that my laptop cannot receive signal from my wireless router if i go too far from the router. By far I mean only 20-30feet away. The wireless ruoter is in my living room and when i go to my own bed room it will have a hard time connecting to that signal. Shouldn't the router send off a signal that is much farther than 20-30feet? Is there an option that allows the router to send off the signal farther?

my laptop is a Compaq Presario C700.
my router is an Air Link

if you need any other info please let me know. thank you!

Wireless is... well wireless. There is not set broadcast range. If anyone tells you there is it is a perfect lab setting. I use to do ressidental pc / networking and some businesses too. I have seen wi fi work perfect in one house ( through 3 floors) and not work at all in the house next door. When i first started installing wi fi in 2001, hardly anybody had wireless and there were no 2.4 ghz phones and all the othe stuff there is. It worked great. Now it is not uncommon for 10 - 15 ppl to have it ina n appartment building or all your surronding neighbors, then there are toys , phones .....etc that use part or all of the same signal. The signal coming from the router is only a fration of a watt. The new " N " routers are supposed to broadcast further. There are 1, 2 and 3 watt dedicated wi fi x-mitters and receivers. see link
â™  WiFi | Wireless Amplifier
this is just an example, I have seen cheaper ones for a round $125. There are also range extenders. I have tried a few the only one I could get to work good was the D-LINK,

My router is the Air Link 101 Super G wireless. AR430.

The door of my room is facing directly to the router. Therefore only my wood door is blocking the signal...
is it because Air Link is not a very good brand of routers? Can someone give a list of all the common routers, from best to worst?

signal at that range (2.4 Ghz) are subject to fading especially when wall/s are present in between..just find ur place around.

If you look into the settings you might find a fix. Specifically look at any other wireless connection you can view on your laptop. It may be locked or something else like that but just check what channel those signals are on. Its possible that you have a lot of interference.

If you have 10 other connections with the same channel near you then it could definitely affect performance. Generally people use 11, 6, and 1. Just keep as far away from those as possible. Some router options limit you to channel 6 though so see if the boost from that feature is worth the interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom