Laptop Suggestion $400-600 quick response please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im gonna be buying a laptop for my bro in law and we were comparing inspirons to vostros.
vostros are better and cheaper, theyre better because they dont have all the junk that companies usually fill pc's with.

and he also use to work for dell repairing computers and preferred vostros.

Sorry for not responding but I don't check this forum everyday, especially not the laptop section. Basically its for my brother's girlfriend and her family which means her parents have to approve. I suggested the same acer asprire for $650 with a replacement ram stick of 2GB (to boost it to 2.5GB) but they refused to buy an Acer computer because they've never heard of it.

Basically that narrows it down to HP, Dell, maybe Gateway. I hate people who are stubborn like that. Problem is that they'll need to get some sort of RAM upgrade for that price if they intend to use Vista (they do).

Most of the computers for that price have 0.5-1GB of RAM. Vista should have 1.5-2GB of RAM to work well. If you get more RAM they upgrade EVERYTHING so in order to get the right amount of RAM you end up spending $800.

Not to sound disrespectful or anything, but if they already have their minds set to certain household brands, why bother making suggestions to them? Seems that even if they don't know more about the product than you do, their minds have already been washed with marketing myths (such as big names are better), so they will only buy what the big guys tell them to buy in ads.

But if you need a big name at a low price, go with a Dell Vostro 1000 (as cheap as $449). Hopefully they won't complain that AMD is a brand they never heard of.

Just a word of advice while searching for budget notebooks: Two choices you will always run into: Mobile Sempron or Celeron M. The Celeron M performs very well (based on core and core 2 technology), but the feature that allows it to throttle down to extend battery life is disabled- meaning battery life will be very poor. The Mobile Sempron also performs well, and it will throttle down to save power- so it's generally the smarter choice.

Not to sound disrespectful or anything, but if they already have their minds set to certain household brands, why bother making suggestions to them? Seems that even if they don't know more about the product than you do, their minds have already been washed with marketing myths (such as big names are better), so they will only buy what the big guys tell them to buy in ads.

But if you need a big name at a low price, go with a Dell Vostro 1000 (as cheap as $449). Hopefully they won't complain that AMD is a brand they never heard of.

Just a word of advice while searching for budget notebooks: Two choices you will always run into: Mobile Sempron or Celeron M. The Celeron M performs very well (based on core and core 2 technology), but the feature that allows it to throttle down to extend battery life is disabled- meaning battery life will be very poor. The Mobile Sempron also performs well, and it will throttle down to save power- so it's generally the smarter choice.

my link has a vostro thats c2d ,has 2gb ram and fits his budget....nothing wrong with that.

I see your point but I like helping people and my brother wouldn't let me hear the end of it (for an hour until he does something else and completely forgets)
if I didn't help. He didn't really ask me to do it he told me to. I would normally fight with him when he does that but I wasn't in the mood.

Honestly people are SO brainwashed its absurd. They know absolutely nothing and yet they think they know something. They couldn't tell a Gigahertz from a Gigabyte from a Googolplex yet if you say Dell isn't good or that a different brand is good then all of a sudden they know something.

Oh well. I'll look into that seems good enough.

My Dell Inspiron kicks ***. I dont care what people say, and there are noobs at my college who have the HP dv9000t that they bought for 2k. And its funny, because I bought my laptop for ~1300 and I have a better system overall, a 7.2k 160GB HD and a geForce 8600GT not GS, like his.

I have a 1520 with:
c2d 2.2Ghz 4MB cache
2GB 667mhz
160GB 7200rpm
1680*1050 res
8600gt

and i love it.
and about the software crap that comes with dells, just reinstall the os, and its great.

My Dell Inspiron kicks ***. I dont care what people say, and there are noobs at my college who have the HP dv9000t that they bought for 2k. And its funny, because I bought my laptop for ~1300 and I have a better system overall, a 7.2k 160GB HD and a geForce 8600GT not GS, like his.

I have a 1520 with:
c2d 2.2Ghz 4MB cache
2GB 667mhz
160GB 7200rpm
1680*1050 res
8600gt

and i love it.
and about the software crap that comes with dells, just reinstall the os, and its great.

i totally agree with you.
thats exactly what i did with my gfs laptop and it runs way better then one of my buddies hp.
It really depends on how you maintain your pc, i take her pc every 2weeks or month to maintain it and make sure everything is updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom