Vista Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not right...either everything runs in dual channel, or nothing does. 2 or 4 sticks would run dual, whereas 3 sticks would be single channel. Unless your running 2*1 gig and 2*512megs, then your not running in dual channel.

True. But here's something to think about. According to Tom's Hardware's tests, dual channel mode shows no noticeable increases over single channel mode. There is no reason to not have dual channel memory, but there is also no reason to worry about breaking dual channel mode. It is better to have 3 sticks that are single channel than to only have 2 sticks that are dual channel.

Parallel Processing, Part 2: RAM and HDD | Tom's Hardware

But with some memory controllers, it is possible to have 2 pairs of memory that are different sizes or speeds and still be dual channel. Just as long as the 2 matching slots have the same memory. The only thing is that it will only run as fast as the slowest pair.

it is possible to have 2 pairs of memory that are different sizes or speeds and still be dual channel. Just as long as the 2 matching slots have the same memory. The only thing is that it will only run as fast as the slowest pair.

Okay let me get this right. So it is possible to have 2 paris of RAM that are different sizes or speed and be dual channel. But jsut as long as the slots have the same memory.

How can they be different and the same at the same time?

Yes you can run Channel 1&3 with 1GB sticks and Channel 2&4 with 512MB Sticks. Both pairs can run dual Channel. But they can not be different speeds. They will have to be the same speed. Not every motherboard ahs the capability to run RAM of different speeds. That statement is totally dependent on the type of hardware you are running.

While some mother boards you can run RAM of 800MHz and memory of 1033MHz and it will all run as 800MHz. But again this is dependent on the mother board to be able to clock down he 1 set of RAM. Not only that but the RAM has to be able o run at that speed as well. If the RAM is clocked at 1033MHz and above but not below trying to run it at 800MHz will cause you serious problems as that is slower than what it is rated.

So while Tom's Hardware is partially correct. They lefdt out some VERY important details in there. Each machine is different. Many OEM MAchines can NOT do these types of things. They have a motherboard that is only capable of runnin 1 speed of RAM.

How can they be different and the same at the same time?

Yes you can run Channel 1&3 with 1GB sticks and Channel 2&4 with 512MB Sticks. Both pairs can run dual Channel. But they can not be different speeds.
That's basically what I was trying to say, only maybe I wasn't clear. You can have 2 pairs that are different, but the two sticks in a pair have to be the same and you have to make sure to put them in the right slots. But there are memory controllers that will allow the two pairs to have different speeds of memory, too; it will just run it all at the slowest supported speed. But most motherboards probably don't work that way.

The point of Tom's Hardware test wasn't that you can have different types of memory. Tom's Hardware's point was that there isn't a noticeable difference between dual channel and single channel. Go look at their benchmarks to see.

Maybe on thier system it wasnt. But it has been noted on system with Dual or Quad core CPU's that you can get a gain since there is more room for the RAM and CPU to "talk" to each other. There are more lanes for hte information to flow.

Having a non-dual channel setup would show no noticeable gain from jsut a P4 CPU or anything like that. But this again also comes down to the application. Not all applications are SMP which take full use of the Dual or Quad core.

Running 3DMARK, COD, Prey and Quake 4 will not take advantage of Dual Core or Quad core CPU;s let alone Dual Channel RAM. Now try it with something like WinRar which is SMP and take take full advantage of both. I will bet you that there will be a significant difference in those test results.

Their tests are very basic. They dont test for real things. They only tested to show the difference it would make on games. There are very few games that are SMP right now. None of those tested are.

But do you really think that 1 GB of dual channel RAM is better than 2 GB of single channel RAM? I doubt it. Especially since like you said, not every app takes advantage of SMP.

No i wasnt saying that 1GB of Dual Channel RAM is better than 2GB of single Channel. I was trying to show you that the tests were very biased. they did not show the true effects Dual Channel RAM can have on a system compared to that of single channel ram on a system running the same applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom