Opera whines about IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrestcupp

Daemon Poster
Browser Wars: Opera Files Complaint Over IE With European Commission

Opera is whining about IE being included with Windows. My question is, if I install Windows and it doesn't have IE included, how am I going to download Opera?

Next thing you know, some solitaire game maker will complain about solitaire being included. Maybe MS should just release a kernel, and leave it to us to install every little thing needed to make it functional.

And why aren't they complaining that Firefox is included by default in Ubuntu?

They will include the installers for Opera and/or firefox. Why is it that Linux builds include Firefox and not Opera??

Why is it the EU complained about WMP being included in Windows and now they ave a version of Windows out there (The N Versions to be exact) that do not have it and those are the ones release in the UK?

Opera does have a point. Why does Windows HAVE to come with its own software? I mean you can include the installers for Opera, Firefox and IE all with a Wnidows isntall. Let the user choose.

ya, how am i suppose to get FF or opera downloaded lol.
guess i should FTP or something....which the average user definetally knows how to do :tard:
or should opera magically appear on my file server?

everyone has a choice at what browser to use, IE lets you get there to download it.
people complain about how much microsoft charges, yet when they give something away they complain yet again...
gah!

Again i make this statement. THEY CAN INCLUDE THE INSTALLERS. Why is it you people right away think that there has to be a browser present to downlaod another? Why not jsut have the installer there on the desktop????

Install Vista or XP...load up desktop...Ahhh look there is the installer for firefox, opera and IE. All I have to do is install it. No NEED to go to teh net and downlaod ot. Wow, novel idea.

How is that hard to figure out. Linux distros do it. So can Windows.

Again i make this statement. THEY CAN INCLUDE THE INSTALLERS. Why is it you people right away think that there has to be a browser present to downlaod another? Why not jsut have the installer there on the desktop????

Install Vista or XP...load up desktop...Ahhh look there is the installer for firefox, opera and IE. All I have to do is install it. No NEED to go to teh net and downlaod ot. Wow, novel idea.

but why would MS have the competitions browser ready to be installed?

that is like GM saying they want to sell Fords on all car lots...
you simply don't offer your competitions products.

Linux can do it because it is free and open source.

Why is it that Linux builds include Firefox and not Opera??
Because Opera is not Free software, i.e. GPL. They don't have to get permission to include GPL stuff by default, so they do that and let you get the proprietary stuff on your own. If you haven't noticed yet, the Linux world is run by "Free Software" fanatics.

The difference is that Linux distros are just a package of a lot of software that other people made. There is very little developing done to create a distro, other than tweaking, customizing, and minor development to get everything to work together the way they want it.

Windows is different. It is developed in house and it is made to compete. Maybe OEM's would add installers for competing products, but there is no way in **** that MS is going to add installers for Opera or Firefox in their Windows package. And there is no way anyone could make them do it, either. So we're stuck back at the beginning. If I buy retail Windows to do a clean install on my computer, and it doesn't come with IE, I don't have an easy way of downloading and installing Firefox or Opera.

I agree with this post. However some people are so dumb they don't even know how to install something. They would end up calling support and asking and complaining that they don't have a way to access the internet. MS probably wouldn't want to deal with that. Also, they wouldn't want to put competitors stuff on their builds.

i love all ms products (the ones I'm aware of :p)
I actually despise those complaints...an OS maker, or any software maker cannot include another product of it's making into a product it makes?

Oh wait, that only applies to MS and not everyone else.
:p

I prefer IE, just my humble anon liking, and I wish for it to be included in my OS of choice.

Other MS products I like and use.
Microsft Streets and Trips
Office 2k3
Office 2k7
MS Student
Media Player (I like to use Media Player 11 and MPC)

And here's some more you can peruse:
Microsoft Product Information Center

;)

Heh, i totally read this as "oprah whines about IE". God, sometimes i think my brain is on vacation.

Also, im sick of other companies whining about MS offering built in products. If you have a problem with it, make it worth using.

I understand the points being made. But again i stress the fact that IE does not have to be the default. IE is free to download it self and therefor gives M$ no advantage with it being pre-isntalled.

WMP is already not installed on the UK versions of their product to meet with the EU standards. Why is it so hard to ask they give Opera and Firefox as a installer on the desktop?

Opera may not be under the GPL but it is freeware. I am sure if Opera was contacted to have their browser to be included by default in a Windows install they would gladly give permission. So the GPL license can be gotten around. Being Freeware doesnt mean you ahve to follow the GPL. That is only Open Source. Not Freeware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom