PCI-express 1.6 mobo + 2.0 Graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
different types are
x1
x4
x8
x16

x1 is mainly for a small variety of sound/gfx/NIC cards, not often used
x4 will bottleneck high-end cards, not sure about low-end
x8 runs most cards
x16 ideal for most gaming cards, standard
2.0 is for future cards, x16 cards work in them and ATM all 2.0 cards work at full potential at x16

I don't think there is 1.6. You probably meant 1.1....But 2.0 GFX cards are backwards compatible with 1.1 supported motherboards. So yes, it does work.

2.0 is just a revision of the PCIe 1.1 slot, to allow more power and bandwidth to the card.

Thanks everyone!

And I meant x16--the one on the highly-suggested Abit IP35 Pro--so I'm in good shape.
Just checking, is this a) a good choice for a card and b)definitely compatible with my board?

Oops, out of stock--which GT should I get then? Are they only 512 mb and 256 mb? Can someone provide a URL to the correct one please?

yes there are only 512mb and 256mb
Newegg.com - XFX PVT88PUDF4 GeForce 8800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Newegg.com - XFX PVT88PYDD4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

note: the 512mb's aren't usually that much, this one is a superclocked one the only one left in stock

and welcome back to High - Performance section b1gapl, havn't seen you in a while :)

Thanks. Got my first job, so I've been working.

Anyway, here's a good deal:
XFX PVT88PUDF4 Geforce 8800 GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card Retail at ZipZoomfly
...only $199.99

Although not as good as newegg, it's pretty good. I ordered there a couple of times. I like their free shipping.

their site also is great for cases, because thats where you pay through the nose on shipping.. but this site has it for free..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom