Upgrading my Dell 8250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbalz

Baseband Member
Looking to upgrade my Dell Dimension 8250, it is a few years old and need a slight boost before I build my own box late next year.

Here is my CPU-Z screen

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/kbalzkbalz/CPU-Z.jpg

The only change I made to it since I bought it was bought two more Ram Modules, so it is now running 1 GB of 533 fsb RDRAM.

Ignoring heat, PSU.. what chip would be compatible with that mobo? I'm hoping to get 3.2+ GHZ.

Any recommondations? Thanks, Kb

I have CPU intensive game, it doesn't use GPU at all.. CPU is maxed out at 100% while running game, if I can run a dual core or HT, that may help. I really just need higher GHZ on the proc.. but I'm afriad to upgrade the chip without this community's input :)

What is the processor right now? YOu can get up to P4 2.26, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz with a 533 MHz FSB.

its a Dell thats socket 478... so he can't overclock, but I don't think there are P4 HT for Socket 478

Yeah I can not OC with this mobo, but I'd rather keep this mobo.

I have the 2.8, 533. I remember when I bought it from Dell, the 3.06 was available, but a few hundred dollars more (at the time).

I was looking at this list: (sorry, you'll have to copy/paste the link, it is full of brackets messing up the BB code)

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/processors-retail-box/p/42/popup1[]=150:276/popup3[]=30:278/popup2[]=10:976/sortby=priceD

There are some, that are 800 MHZ FSB.. that look perfect speed for me, but will that MHZ clock down or how does that work? Otherwise, there is only the 3.06 GHZ that is 533 mhz fsb. Thoughts? Thanks a bunch for replying.

Can anyone confirm the chip that I posted will be compatible with the Dell mobo?

I have CPU intensive game, it doesn't use GPU at all.. CPU is maxed out at 100% while running game, if I can run a dual core or HT, that may help. I really just need higher GHZ on the proc.. but I'm afriad to upgrade the chip without this community's input :)

All games use gpu, if you have a weak gpu then your cpu will still get maxed out. What card do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom