Overclocking Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
Rig info is in my sig.

Havent really gone into overclocking a whole lot, so Id like to start out doing it right. Bunch of questions, so if anyone wouldnt mind :)

- Whats the highest I should set my vCore to (but not go over)?
- ^^ Same for NB Voltage <- I read that its not as sensitive to heat, will it be fine without a HSF?
- Should I up the memory and FSB at the same time, or get the FSB as high as I can and then move to the RAM?

Also, has anyone overclocked the stuff Im using? What have you got yours to?

The highest voltage setting would depend on your temperatures. But a good cutting point, is 1.55v, if overclocking on air.

More or less for the NB. It will be fine with just a heatsink.

It's usually recommended to overclock the FSB and memory at the same time, so one is not holding back the other.

I've had the E6400, and it overclocks pretty well. I've gotten to the range of 3.4GHz for daily use. And 3.6GHz for benchmarks.

Oh wow, I cant get past 2.6GHz right now; Only had vCore at 1.3v though, so now that I know 1.5 is the limit Ill try pushing it higher. At 2.6 I run about 55 under full load; MAYBE 60 if my room is hot.

If that's load, then I would recommend that you do not increase the vcore, until you lower that load temperature. Are you overclocking with the stock cooler?

No, Ive got a Silverstone Nitrogen NT05, but running at around 2000rpm (sounds like a bloody vacuum cleaner when its up full). Considering buying a Tuniq Tower on boxing day.

EDIT. Decided on an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. For $28, cant go wrong.

Should I be using the two fans that came with the mobo? They go over the top and right-hand heatsinks:
extremepcgear_1976_70685483

Hey Spiked,

I also use an E6400 chip, but different board. I've been doing a lot of reading about OC'ing and I just started OC'ing 2 weeks ago.

I've been able to hit 2.64Ghz so far with a Vcore setting of 1.275. My idle is 21C and Load is in the low 40's.

I just changed my Case and added the Tuniq Tower recently; and I can tell you that the Tuniq Tower has done wonders for me at the lowest setting. Very recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom