Microsoft Says IE More Secure Than Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy Rocko. Reread my post. I said I know it's possible, but that's not how it happens most of the time. If you frequent crack sites, you deserve a virus. If you go to a free software site and download infected software and install it, it doesn't matter which browser you use. If you open an infected email attachment, it doesn't matter if you're using Firefox or IE; you will get a virus.

I am a Firefox user. My whole point is that it is pretty deceptive to make someone believe that just because they use Firefox, they are safe. You also have to pay attention to what you are doing. I haven't used an anti-virus in a couple of years, and because I pay attention to what I do, I haven't had any virus problems (even when I use IE).

I know Firefox is more secure, but people need to be informed about the big picture, not just one part of it.

Now go ahead and bash away.

you guys are making too much of what I said. I got offended when you said "I don't care how many computers you have fixed."

my opinion is based off of my experiences with different computers. most of the people here opinions are based of of their preferences.

IE is safe for people who know computers inside and out. the problem is most people with a computer don't know computers inside and out. I do and you do, but joe blow don't

firefox (and opera) is a safer alternative to them.

you guys are making too much of what I said. I got offended when you said "I don't care how many computers you have fixed."

my opinion is based off of my experiences with different computers. most of the people here opinions are based of of their preferences.

IE is safe for people who know computers inside and out. the problem is most people with a computer don't know computers inside and out. I do and you do, but joe blow don't

firefox (and opera) is a safer alternative to them.

This is completely the truth. We as computer enthusists know how to make IE safe. I have fixed my sisters, grandparents among hundreds of other PC's where people refuse to use anything but IE and wonder why they have troubles. So yes it is true that Firefox and Opera are made for safe browsing. Cause they are. If you are a average user who only uses a PC for email, internet and some casual other things then you dont know about the dangers of IE.

Thank you Eric for acknowledgin that Opera is also a safe browser and thta Firefox isnt the only 1. I do agree with your position on this.:D

This is completely the truth. We as computer enthusists know how to make IE safe. I have fixed my sisters, grandparents among hundreds of other PC's where people refuse to use anything but IE and wonder why they have troubles. So yes it is true that Firefox and Opera are made for safe browsing. Cause they are. If you are a average user who only uses a PC for email, internet and some casual other things then you dont know about the dangers of IE.

Thank you Eric for acknowledgin that Opera is also a safe browser and thta Firefox isnt the only 1. I do agree with your position on this.:D

no problem. thank you

I fixed a lady computer today. I ran spybot, adaware, webroot spyspweeper and windows defender and nod32 and they remove well over 300 items (this took like4-5 hours). But I could never reclaim IE. everytime you click a link, you ended up at a spyware page telling you to buy their product. I couldn't get rid of the nasty little pop up in the sys tray telling her computer has a million infections either. I was trying to go to windows update to install updates, it would show it for a second then go to the hijacked page. I ended up reformatting the darn computer. I'm updating it right now as we speak

If I would know this in advance, I would have capture the whole thing with camtasia studio and posted it here.

Internet Exploder Safe? what a joke. there is a reason that people call it that

you see, this little action of hijacking will never occur in firefox or opera.

this 6+ hours was a waste of my time. I'm only charging her 40 bucks. I should just wiped it in the first place.

ya.. all the common integrated stuff into an Operating system is an insta-target

like this one:
Target%20-%20Arrowgif.gif

IE IS THE BULLS EYE!!

I guess thats why that guy got fired for recommending Firefox or Opera when he was on his Geek Squad routine...

I fixed a lady computer today. I ran spybot, adaware, webroot spyspweeper and windows defender and nod32 and they remove well over 300 items (this took like4-5 hours). But I could never reclaim IE. everytime you click a link, you ended up at a spyware page telling you to buy their product. I couldn't get rid of the nasty little pop up in the sys tray telling her computer has a million infections either. I was trying to go to windows update to install updates, it would show it for a second then go to the hijacked page. I ended up reformatting the darn computer. I'm updating it right now as we speak

If I would know this in advance, I would have capture the whole thing with camtasia studio and posted it here.

Internet Exploder Safe? what a joke. there is a reason that people call it that

you see, this little action of hijacking will never occur in firefox or opera.

this 6+ hours was a waste of my time. I'm only charging her 40 bucks. I should just wiped it in the first place.

i got screwed about a month ago with FF
adware, spybot, trend micro, avg, avast would not pick up anything.

i closed my laptop, opened it up about an hour later my background was red with a yellow trojan symbol in the middle.
3 new icons with virus and spyware removal names
a popup stating i had been infected appeared every 2 minutes
4 new processes

i only use FF on my laptop

i finally did a system restore (that i saved about a week earlier) and everything returned to normal.

saying something like this won't happen with FF or Opera...you just can't say that

sure it's proably a lot more safe...but hey, if FF had the same amount of crackers attacking it as M$...guarantee there would be some more problems.
imo ofcourse

i got screwed about a month ago with FF
adware, spybot, trend micro, avg, avast would not pick up anything.

i closed my laptop, opened it up about an hour later my background was red with a yellow trojan symbol in the middle.
3 new icons with virus and spyware removal names
a popup stating i had been infected appeared every 2 minutes
4 new processes

i only use FF on my laptop

i finally did a system restore (that i saved about a week earlier) and everything returned to normal.

saying something like this won't happen with FF or Opera...you just can't say that

sure it's proably a lot more safe...but hey, if FF had the same amount of crackers attacking it as M$...guarantee there would be some more problems.
imo ofcourse

I was talking about browser hijacking. firefox or opera are immune to this because they don't have the in house spyware tool called activex

I was talking about browser hijacking. firefox or opera are immune to this because they don't have the in house spyware tool called activex

To make this comment even better, M$ is going back to the old ways of ActiveX.

BetaNews | Preview patch returns ActiveX to the way it was

Basically it says this:

Over a decade after Microsoft used an idea for making binary programs work with one click from inside Web pages, the company is testing a patch that restores that functionality in the wake of a settlement with the idea's creator.

So basically remember way back in the early days of ActiveX when there was no prompt for you to allow the download of ActiveX controls. It seems that it will be that way again. Way to go M$. Get your browser hijacked again!!!:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom