Looking for some help with building a system

Status
Not open for further replies.

azulo

Beta member
So my power supply is pretty much fried, smells like burnt plastic, and my computer shuts down every 15 minutes. I got it custom-made for about $600 2 years ago, and now I'm thinking of building a better gaming machine using a few parts of the old one.

At the moment I'm mainly looking for a new frame and a new power supply. I was thinking of using all the other parts from my current computer and updating parts slowly as I learn more and get enough money together to do so.

I've been reading a lot, but I know that you guys know more than I do about all this, and I really shouldn't just buy something because tigerdirect tells me it's good:)

I'm not looking for anything too extreme, but I am willing to spend a decent amount of money to get good components. So, while I would want a great graphic card, I'm not one of those people who needs to spend an extra $100 to get a cool case with glow-in-the-dark liquids flowing around. I do know, however, that a case should be compatible with a decent motherboard. This is why I'm worried about just buying a random one because it might not be compatible with a good motherboard? I do love these small cases (Ultra Silver MicroFly Aluminum Micro ATX Tower Case with Clear Sides, Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports MFCLRSL at TigerDirect.com, but I'm not sure whether it's good enough to fit everything I need and future upgrades?

I also live in Canada, so I suppose I'll have to buy most of my stuff from tigerdirect.ca and other sites that do ship to Canada (not newegg, alas).

Summary:

- Can I just transfer most of my components + a new power supply into a new case?
- Please recommend a decent case and power supply so I can go back to playing Bioshock ASAP.
- Anything I'm missing? Can I easily transfer my CD drive and stuff like that or are there any other parts that I'll need to replace if I get a new case?

Firstly, go look around at some of the other threads, general recommendations for what you asked for are all over the place.
Secondly, we also need to know what parts are in your current system.

a good future proof PS: Corsair 520hx
Its pricier than the average PS but will last longer.
Case: Centurion 5

Firstly, go look around at some of the other threads, general recommendations for what you asked for are all over the place.
Secondly, we also need to know what parts are in your current system.

a good future proof PS: Corsair 520hx
Its pricier than the average PS but will last longer.
Case: Centurion 5

Yes, I suppose that makes sense.

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket AM2
Motherboard ASRock AM2NF4G-SATA2
1.5 gigs of RAM
160GB Western Digital 7200 rpm 8mb cache ATA II drive
Optical Drive LG 16x H10A DVD RW + Dual Layer
Some graphic card I bought at best buy which I paid $250 for but which sucks.
Audio Realtek ALC 888 7.s channel CODEC with high def. audio
Network card onboard 10/100 network card
Power supply 400 watt (boom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom