Really need help for a CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Baseband Member
Ok well about two years ago I bought a AMD 3700+ processor and compatible board. What I am seeing now is that the processor is lagging behind.

I want to buy a new processor, I don't necessarily want to buy the best thing in town but I do want to get a high endish CPU. I always go for value and performance rather than just performance alone.

Any ideas what I could get? If I have to replace the mobo that is fine, but I would like to keep my current RAM (2 gigs) or maybe even add another gig. Any help would be appreciated. I know AMD usually has better deals than Intel, but atm intel has best overall processors. I am looking for something not over priced and powerful.

Oh BTW I have a X1900XT Radon card

what is your current motherboard? ... though you'll most likely have to replace it if you're looking to keep it for a while.

the processor i have was only $160 bucks (but u need a new mobo i would think, its an AM2 slot)... i love it and its fine if you're not planning on OC'ing..

however i ofted find myself regretting that i did not by an abit p35 mobo with a Q6600... if only i had found this website BEFORE i bought what i have... it really isnt that pricey and it will be future safe for a good while.

well let me see, I am not against putting in another mobo and getting new ram even if that is needed, I really don't want to have to get another case though.

I have a MSI motherboard and I forget exactly which one. But even if I needed to get another board that is fine. Just looking for cost conscientious options for an upgrade, I am going to get a new video card soonish, right now the X1900XT is doing fine. I just recently modded Oblivion and I need more CPU for all those scripts.

Oh and I am completely ignorant about dual and quad core setups, which is why I chose to go with a single core bargain AMD before. But everything now has moved to quad and dual setups. So I am playing catchup

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor - Retail

if a good bang for the buck setup is what you're looking for, this will do just fine... but if ur willing to spend a little more id go the intel route and get a Q6600 and an abit p35...it would probably make you a little more future proof, and you'd be able to overclock it much better than you could with the AMD 6000

Newegg.com - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

and as for RAM...
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
thats what i got... its PERFECT if you're going down the bargin route... its very cheap... though not the best out there, its certainly reliable and works just fine from what i can tell in the week that i have owned it.

so you don't mind getting a New Board, CPU, RAM and PSU?

I think my PSU is fine Its like 600 or more watts, but no I don't mind getting all that stuff it it's necessary. Although it would be nice to have to as little as possible to get my computer back together again.

I'd get the 5000+ Black Edition instead of the 6000+ because by increasing the multiplier of it once (BE has unlocked ones)

I think my PSU is fine Its like 600 or more watts, but no I don't mind getting all that stuff it it's necessary. Although it would be nice to have to as little as possible to get my computer back together again.

wattage means nothing.. its the amperage on the 12v Rails that matters..

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor - Retail

if a good bang for the buck setup is what you're looking for, this will do just fine... but if ur willing to spend a little more id go the intel route and get a Q6600 and an abit p35...it would probably make you a little more future proof, and you'd be able to overclock it much better than you could with the AMD 6000

Thanks for the advice, I have looked at that processor, is that board the one I should get? It costs almost the same as the processor. One thing I have learned is you can never be future proof in computers. So I always go for cheaper but more powerful value wise. And usually that keeps me playing games with max details all the time.

I sort of want to stay away from overclocking, I am not an expert at it. And I keep having my fans die in my computer so I am afraid I will burn the system down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom