Switching from Vista to XP Pro???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychosis84

Solid State Member
Ok, so I am buying a really high end laptop from HP very soon. The only problem I have is that the only option they have for OS's is Vista. I had called and asked if I could go with an XP option but they said they can't offer that. I'm not against Vista, it's just that all the programs I will be using run very nicely with XP Pro, and my school actually requires we have XP Pro rather than Vista. So I'm going to get the Laptop with Vista installed but am going to have to remove it off of the hard drive and install XP Pro. That makes me kinda nervous.

I know that uninstalling an OS and installing a new one isn't exactly an idiot proof process, or so I have read. Granted I am not an idiot when it comes to this stuff, BUT doing this is something TOTALLY new to me. I don't want to **** up my brand new and expensive laptop.

So I guess my questions are:

1 - Should I attempt to do this myself or take it somewhere?
2 - If I do this myself, how the **** do I make sure it goes smoothly, and what do I do?
3 - What are some of the problems I may run into?

Thanks guys. I know this topic has probably been posted before, so I apologize.

IF its an HP - it will have a recovery partition so that you can restore the computer back to factory settings (i have an Hp notebook and desktop and which both have the recovery partition and its a life saver :) ).. So if you were to mess up a format and reinstall, You can just use the recovery console to format C:, and D: will reinstall vista (this basicaly does away with those restore dvds, and is a lot faster too)

Alternatively, make a new Hard drive partition, install XP Pro on it and Use dual boot so you can choose which OS you want at bootup ...

Actually it is an HP... a dv9500t to be exact. I didn't know HP's had a recovery partition, cool. The whole partition thing is very new to me btw. I don't even know how to create new ones and move things about them. When I format my Laptop I know I want to create a couple partitions. The laptop comes with dual harddrives... two 160GB's.

I want a 1 partition for the XP OS files, 1 partition for data and all my programs (gonna be using a lot of graphical programs for architecture), 1 partition for games, and possibly one more for music... but I'm going to be storing my music on an external 500GB wireless harddrive, so I don't think that a music partition is needed.

I need to do research to figure out how to set up partitions. But first I need to know how to eliminate vista and install XP Pro... MAYBE I'll take your suggestion and install XP on a different partition, that way I can use two different OS's, but that just seems like a waste of HD space to me.

Well you will want to google for and download GParted. It is a LiveCD, which means you can boot right to it.

From there delete the Vista partition and create at least 1 Primary partition for XP to go on. From there you can create as many others as you wish. But you will need at least 1 Primary partition to install Windows XP on.

From there either format the drive with GParted or just insert the XP CD and isntall and format with that. Then you are on your way.

Ok so, download GParted... run it. Delete the Vista partition with it. Then create a primary partition for XP (then install it on there) and create as many more partitions I would like.

I still am not sure what any of this really involves when it comes down to it... little nervous about it all. But it SEEMS simple enough... Can I screw up anything hardcore by deleting vista and installing XP?

Not really. I mean you are not opening up the PC for anything. The only thing you will lose is you data that you currently have. So if you have stuff on there you can not lose then by all means back it up now.

But even my first time messing with GParted and partitions i was scared. But it sounds harder than it is.

go into your recovery program (all programs menu) and make your backup dvds for vista. keep them in a nice spot if you ever need to put vista back.

check hp website to see if they have xp driver for the laptop. if they don't you have to go to driverpack and slipstream the drivers into your xp disc or you won't be able to find drivers.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-keep-winxp-really-fast-stable-156582/

here's how you update you xp cd to have almost all drivers. you need the driver packs and the driver base software. here are the links

DriverPacks.net > DriverPacks > Intro

DriverPacks.net > DriverPacks > DriverPacks BASE

download driverbase. put your downloaded driver packs files in the driver pack folder that you get when you extract driver base download with 7zip

7-Zip

extract driver base. put your driver zip files in the right folder.

driverbase1.jpg

open driver base. click the arrows to get to the next screen. notice that i have an xp folder on my desktop (I have 2 actually. I use ryanvm integrater to slipstream all of xp updates into the disc too). you need the files there as driver doesn't copy your xp cd files to the hdd. you have to manually do it yourself or use nlite to copy the files to the hdd

driverbase2.jpg

if you put the files in the right place you will see the drivers on this screen. just follow the steps leaving the default options. you can change them if you understand them.
driverbase3.jpg

when you are done use nlite to create a bootable iso file from the folder.

driverbase4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom