Need help buying RAM - my first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in one of my computers, which is 256MB at the moment -- eeek, slow!

I'm totally new at this, and need some more info on what to look for when I go to the computer store.

Anything you can provide, or even links on how to do this stuff would be a real help! :D

You can look inside the case and pull out the RAM that's in there now and there should be a sticker on it telling you the spec's you need, or you should be able to type your towers model # in google and get the memory specs that way and it will tell you the max mem supported.

download cpuz, CPUID, and then run it and go to the ram tab and you'll get the info you need.

cpuzsskg9.jpg

those 2 things in the SPD category you're gonna want to write down and take to the store when you go cause that is the most important thing to know.

another important thing to know is how much can his mobo support...

so before you do more, look at the mainboard tab there, and tell us what kind it is.. because some mobo's won't support 512mb sticks or 1gb sticks.. and imma take a guess w/ 256 mb you've got an old system... and probably won't be able to use a 1gb stick

Finally, I'm back! :rolleyes:

Okay, here's what I've got:

MSI 845G Max motherboard
256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM

I'd like to add at least 512MB to it. Does that look possible?

I'd also like a little more inside info on the specs -- what is DDR and DDR2, and what is PC-xxxx and PC2-xxxx, and what is the "SD" RAM that I see on some types?

lol im very new and don't know so much but i'll tell you what i've learnt.:happy:

Ok seems your board can take 2GB of ram so yeah you can do 512mb or more fine.

the difference between DDR and DDR2 is that DDR2 is like the next generation of ram up from DDR, basically it's twice as fast( is that correct) and is the RAM and is generally used in most computers today.

Prices for DDR ram varies ALOT, for example one site has 1gb sticks at the insane price of $150...

this is the correct ram, your probably not going to find it much cheaper and Samsung is a name brand.

Interesting that on that site 256mb and 512mb cost the same, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom