HELP: XP Firewall Confussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

script.kiddie

Solid State Member
HELP: XP Firewall Confussion

Hi,

I have XP professional with Service Pack 2 Installed. And from 5-6 months since i have installed my windows....the Windows Firewall that comes with SP2 is always on and I am using NOD32 anti-virus system which is always upto-date.

My question is,

What is the comparison of this Windows XP Firewall with any other personal firewall software like Sygate personal firewall if i say or any other one like zone-alarm?? I mean is windows xp firewall better than sygate firewall or any other firewall...OR is it equal to that OR is it inferior than that OR is it totally different thing and HOW??

Waiting....

Windows XP firewall is junk compared to any firewall available. It does not block any out going apps be default. You haev to basically hack the dang thing to make it do so. While those firewalls ask you on a per appication basis if you wish for them to haev access to the net.

While Windows allows everything which is why Zombie machines are so effective, other ask you. So at that point it is your responsibility to know what applicaitons you want to allow access to the net.

Now if you are running a Router with a firewall built in then the Windows Firewall will do you just fine.

Plus you can access Google with all this info and more. Plus next time can you please end your topic with a thank you or something. Having waiting at the end makes it seem like your impatient and expect a immediate response. If that is the case a forum is the wrong place to look.

First of all, I didnt intend like anythng by wriing waiting..if that hurts u..then I am really very sorry for that, I'll make sure from now on.

Secondly, Yes, I am behind a router using broadband connection with dynamic IP address.

So this means i shld not need any other firewall than windows one ??

No it doesnt hurt me. It just sounds kinda impatient. ;)

I am personally being a router with a built in firewall. I do not use any firewall at all aside from teh one my router has. I have not been attacked nor have i had any troubles. For me it has worked with no problems.

The choice is yours. If you feel you need the extra protection by all means use a firewall. But out of necessity i would say anything but the Windows one would be best. At least that way you can control each application and its access to the internet.

U said Windows firewall don't block outgoing apps. Well, ummmm I dun Fully agree with that,
because I've seen that Windows XP firewall asks me whether i want to give access to programs such as yahoo messenger, gtalk(Google Talk), FTP etc Yes, But it has never asked me whether i want to allow Windows services like Generic Host Process(svchost.exe) and Input/Output services. Such notifications were only given to me by Sygate Personal Firewall.

Its not that it does not at all block any programs. It does but not may b Windows Services.

The Windows Firewall does ask on SOME apps. But as you see very few. Did it ask for any browsers? Plus this is hightened by OneCare. So if you are running that then that is why you were prompted because of the hightened firewall aspects of that application.

But just the basic SP2 firewall i have never been prompted by it at all. Not for Halo, Steam, Halo 2 or anything that i run with net access.

I haev blocked some apps. But i do it right from my router. I have a web applicaiton that i use to set up special permissions to allow certain ports to be open while i block others.

*edit*

If you want to make sure you are secure here is what you do.

Home of Gibson Research Corporation

Go there and use their Shield's Up! test. Check each one. the Messenger Spam, Open Ports, Common Ports and all that. If your router is working correctly then you should pass all these with no problems.

I just tested my PC with no firewall on and jsut my router. Got by it with no problem. Not a single packet got thru. My PC is stealth to the net. While my IP may not at least i know my PC is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom