Which one to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista right now will not be a improvement on performance. XP is still the faster OS. But you will need it if youplanon playing games such as Halo 2, Crysis and that. The newer games are all made for Vista so you will eventually have to get Vista. It just isnt a must have right now.

The OEM versions are cheaper. But you only get 1 activation with them. If you go Vista go with Home Premium. there is only 3 Ultimate Extras and they do not make up for the big price difference. To have BitLocker (Useless if you lose you password you lose this info in the BitLocker app), Texas Hold Em Poker, and Dreamscene. ( App to allow a .gif as a background) Home Premium has everything you could need from Vista. Aero, and Media Center.

Just like Mak said, the newer games are going to be made for Vista. That's because true DirectX 10 is Vista-only. Most new games will have DirectX 9 versions, too, but obviously the visuals will be better with 10. Your video card is DX10 capable.

I have heard that some older games do not work well or at all in Vista. So you have to decide whether you will be primarily playing new games or old ones. If I were you, I would just do XP now for free and upgrade to Vista whenever you are ready. Unless you just have money to spend.

And yes, you will be able to buy the upgrade version if you have XP installed. People always say that it's better to do a clean install, though. I did it with an XP upgrade CD; it just asked me to put my old CD in during installation to prove that I was eligible. But I don't know if you can do a clean install with a Vista upgrade or not.

About using your friend's CD. If the CD is the OEM CD that your friend got with his computer, it will work with your OEM key. But if your friend actually went out and bought the retail version, your OEM key won't work with it.

lol i dont know what OEM means, but...

I have the x pro key that came with this laptop, and i also have the xp home that i bought when i built my last rig.

And that thing about not being able to play older games, i was thinking about doing a dual boot with xp and vista.

so then my next question is:

would it be better to get the builders version and then have both? (could i use that same CD to install on another comp in the future? a new build?)

or should i get the upgrade version or standard(?) version, and could i use that CD for multiple installs in the future?

OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer Like Dell or HP. Basically people who build these thigns for a living.

So you ahve a OEM and a Retail key.

Honestly i would just go with a OEM of Vista. Upgrades are never a good idea with Windows. They always seem to go wrong.

If you're going to download a copy online and use your key, it's a safe idea to just download the exact copy of what your key goes to. So if it's not one with sp2, then find that one. Because it's a hassle downloading the wrong copy and then having to find the right one after you're all ready to install. Speaking from experience :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom