Upgrading my system..a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamahammer342

Solid State Member
Im upgrading my system and i have a few questions.

Im deffinatly upgrading my mobo and video card (im still using AGP), and possibly my processor. My main question is, are the socket 939 mother boards going out of style? because if its going to be going out of style pretty soon i want to go ahead and get a motherboard with a differnt socket type. My processor is the athlon 64 3800, and it does ok for me i dont want to upgrade it unless i have to. I was looking around and i can only find a couple mobos with a pci express and the 939 socket.

Another question is, when pairing a video card with a mobo, is there anything i should be looking for? other than a pcie slot? Im wanting to go with something like a geforce 8600gt and i dont want to get a mobo thats gonna hold it back or anything. There are only 6 939 socket mobos on newegg, im just worried its going to hold my system back.

whats your budget?
cuz here's a nice upgrade
Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
nice board, if its too expensive i'm not really sure of anything adequate yet cheaper
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H195PRF256DDN-R Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
even tho its DX9 its more powerful than the 8600gt
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
^^
dont worry about the clock speed
its a big jump from your 939 3800+
it can overclock to 2.9 easily on stock cooler and voltage

what about an e2200? its $5 more.
nonetheless that will be a huge upgrade from your current system.

to answer your question yes 939 is old tech, and has already been replaced with am2. however it really depends on what you use your computer for if you need a new processor or not.

no worries just a suggestion. i was unaware of their release as well till someone else pointed it out to me in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom