Vista Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicity_27

The Angriest of Amoebas
So I have a laptop with a Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of Ram, an 8600 M GS, running Windows Vista Home Premium. I read somewhere that Home Premium doesn't run well with 3 GB of RAM. Is this true? I was thinking about upgrading to more RAM because Vista seems to be a huge memory hog. Any viewpoints are greatly appreciated.

I run Vista with 3GB of RAM just fine. Where ever you read that it doesnt run on "odd" RAM is wrong. Maybe RAM that isnt the same type or the same speed. That i can see. But most systems come with 1GB. That is odd. That type of odd doesnt matter.

Well what I meant was that I read Home Premium doesn't run well with 3GB of RAM and up. Sorry for any confusion.

As i stated. I run Vistajust fine with 3GB of RAM. I have used Home Premium, Business and Ultimate. None have given me any issues at all.

Maybe what you heard is that 32-bit systems can't access more than 3 GB. You will be fine with 3 GB, though. If you have a 64-bit OS, you aren't bound to 3 GB.

Maybe you mean an odd number of sticks. Memory always runs better in pairs. You would not run 3 - 1 gb sticks of ram. Unless you have a 3 channel motherboard. you should run 2 - 1.5gb sticks. This has to do with the way dual channel memory works, which I don't feel like explaining right now.

Maybe you mean an odd number of sticks. Memory always runs better in pairs. You would not run 3 - 1 gb sticks of ram. Unless you have a 3 channel motherboard. you should run 2 - 1.5gb sticks. This has to do with the way dual channel memory works, which I don't feel like explaining right now.

Okay let me clear this up real quick. There is no such thing as 1.5GB sticks of RAM. They come in intervals.

2, 4, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096....and so on. It is done the same way hard drive space is truly calculated. So a 1.5GB stick of RAM isnt possible. Also you can run jsut 3 sticks. Not all boards can run Dual Channel memory and would run just fine with 3x1GB sticks of RAM. Even a Dual Channel board could run them. It is jsut they woudnt run in Dual Channel mode.

I think the confusion comes in where if you have 4GB or more that a 32 Bit system (X86) only RECOGNIZES 3GB or 3.5GB of RAM. Even though you have 4GB installed.

Okay, Makaveli you answered my question thank you. Wicked, my desktop has 3 1GB sticks of RAM, 2 are running in dual channel and one is not. You don't need to explain dual channel to me, I think I understand the concept.

Okay, Makaveli you answered my question thank you. Wicked, my desktop has 3 1GB sticks of RAM, 2 are running in dual channel and one is not. You don't need to explain dual channel to me, I think I understand the concept.

That's not right...either everything runs in dual channel, or nothing does. 2 or 4 sticks would run dual, whereas 3 sticks would be single channel. Unless your running 2*1 gig and 2*512megs, then your not running in dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom