Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadMan789

Baseband Member
Ok when is start my computer I get two operating system choices,
Windows Xp Professional
and
Windows Xp Professional

I am not %100 sure how this happened I think it is because I installed windows XP onto a different HD using a HD that already had windows xp Installed on it.

The thing is the first choice does not work i get an error when it loads, however the second windows Xp choice works and boots up fine into windows. I dont mind that it shows that screen when i start my comp, but the top choice gives me the error which is the one that the computer will boot up if i do not move down to the bottem one .

If someone has a solution, to uninstall the first OS without F**king up the second "Working" OS. Plz Reply

Thx Alot

its in the boot.ini but careful on that one. dont remove the wrong choice. if its the first drive thats wrong, then that should be the choice. I guess you could always try and run "fix /mbr" at command prompt, but I would save that for last.

Ok i think i now wat u mean but do u think you can mayve explain a little better on how to do it

Could you just format the driver which the 1st xp locates(you may save files before you
do so)?

I am wondering one xp in a single is enough. Why do you need 2 xps?

Gary

Ok, this a sample from my machine. I reciprocated the second boot item, as this is what you've described. It may be a scotch different. First, search for boot.ini, and then open it. It should look something like this (replace Windows XP Professional for Windows XP Home).

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

If you say the second one works with your setup, then delete the first entry.

Hope this gives you a visual, or is in some way useful.

just to add, boot.ini is a hidden system file. open notepad and click "open". in the filesname box type "C:\boot.ini". ALWAYS make a backup copy of boot.ini before you start messing with it. also mrdinkel forgot to tell you that boot.ini has a line "default=" you must change that so it matches with the line you deleted. I also like to make "timeout=0".

just post your entire boot.ini so we can look at it. we can tell you what to change.

i got it fixed thanx alot killians45 for giving me the root info on what to do. if you guys ever have a problem like this just get a hold of me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom