Disable that really annoying hard drive access sound in Antec 900?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have five hard drives, including a Raptor. All together, they're still not very loud.

the earlier version Raptors are loud when accessing stuff, but ADFD Raptors have that fixed.

i'm not so sure about that, the only power saving features i can think of would probably limit the lifetime of the drive.

An energy saving feature slows down the wear and tear on a drive by seeing it go into it's own form of standby mode when not being accessed frequently such as a good large sized storage drive. Not too many are going to rush into a 1tb drive to use that as an OS drive while the capacity spells storage and backup.

I had one old Socket A case back like 3 or 4yrs. ago where you could hear the drive when it was busy due to the way the case was made apparently. It seemed to amplify any sounds! That drive ran until just lately when Windows couldn't be reinstalled and after deleting the existing primary a new one couldn't be created.

When test lately? no sounds heard! Other then in that one case it remained quiet until it now can't be seen by GParted even as well as the drive manufacturer's drive diagnostics. For seeing 98 go on an old case that was one of two old drives tried where it met it's match since the second is up and running. That was the first WD drive that ever went doa here in a good number of years. "R.I.P. WD"! :(

ah ya i have one of the older raptors w/ the 8mb cache.. still a very fast drive... almost full though, 74gb.. still loads w/ xp w 2 bars!!!

but the drive is louder than my caviar.. but not by alot...

Was that a Sata 1 Raptor model? That would see a molex as well as sata type power connector and even include a jumper for selecting drive mode not cable position.

The initial Sata 1 drives by WD have jumpers on them. Sata II is the jumper free type drive if you review WD's support site and look up any specific model for installation information. One set of instructions for WD Sata 1 models is titled: "How to enable and disable SSC (spread spectrum clocking) on WD Serial ATA hard drives." Answer

Question: "How to physically install a Serial ATA drive in a computer system." referring to Sata 1 type drives. Answer

The initial Sata 1 drives by WD have jumpers on them. Sata II is the jumper free type drive if you review WD's support site and look up any specific model for installation information. One set of instructions for WD Sata 1 models is titled: "How to enable and disable SSC (spread spectrum clocking) on WD Serial ATA hard drives." Answer

Question: "How to physically install a Serial ATA drive in a computer system." referring to Sata 1 type drives. Answer
my Raptor has no jumpers, and it's SATA I

But I've noticed a lot of SATA II drives that do use jumpers, to switch between SATA I and SATA II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom