Malicious AIM Conversations

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclebob

Solid State Member
Is there any way to report malicious, threatening, and deragatory comments made by an enemy of mine. I have the conversations that took place throuhg AOL instant messenger. Can I report this to their ISP? Will anything be done? They continue to contact me through other screen names I have been able to get them to state it is them. I do have their address, phone number and such. Could a court action even be brought about? I'm sick of being theatened and such. Any ideas?

try this link: http://www.aim.com/help_faq/report_form.adp?topic=security
and report the issue. Give complete details. Also you might want to report to the police department if you know who it is. take a screen shot of their text (shift>printscreen then open paint and paste and save) for your proof.

Another option is to change your screen name and NEVER put your real name in your AIM (or any other profile).

yeah but if the person is constantly changing their screen name then they can keep popping back up. besides, making threats and being like descibed is considered terroristic threats, least in california and some other states and that is punishable by prison. no one should have to go thru that

yeah, AOL can take the screen name, find the IP, then contact his provider (if not aol) and verify it is him by checking the date he had said IP with the name provided.

Depending the severity of those threats, I would do as the others have suggested and report the incidents to either your local PD or a federal agency. Give them all the information you have on hiim/her and let them investigate it.

I believe now that it is a punishable crime to verbally threaten someone over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom