windows 98 reinstall without cdrom drivers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwilson72

Solid State Member
I am currently reinstalling win98 on older computer... my original bootdisk had drivers for cdrom on it, but that boot-floppy was deleted in error, so now i have a non os system with non working cdrom. I created a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com and located the cdrom driver for the oti-91x cdrom from oak technology and put that on my boot disk. I reboot system with bootdisk and it doesn't recognize cdrom. I have tried different drivers for oak technology cdroms and it never accepts it. Do i need to do something in bios to reset cdrom. I have tried unplugging cdrom and replugging it in system, but just won't recognize cdrom. I assume, without the cdrom working, i can't reload win98, because my floppy is the only working device. Do I need to add something in the autoexec.bat and config.sys on boot floppy. I can send a view of my current data in my auto and config .sys if needed. Please help. Thanks By the way, my hard drive has already been reformatted, so my data is gone on hd.

I'm going to assume you have a second system so with that in mind, do the following:

go here, http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/cdrom/, read a little about what you need to do, and then build the disk. It's really easy and I say read a bit cause if I tell you how to do it, it's like giving the fish to the guy. He will only eat for a day wheras you learn a little then you can eat all year...
Good Luck

Thanks for your reply, I went to te website and it was kind of confusing.... I will do my best, if anyone has an easier solution...i'm up for it... Thanks!

Can be fix but you need one more PC.....:
There is a program which connect 2 PC with serial or paralel cable
the program run under DOS and is Call FX (fast lynx).

1. Run the both disk
2. then put the diskete with the FX
3. Conect both PC via serial or paralel cable.
4. Copy the install Folder of Win98 to the computer where the cd rom is missing.
5. Go to the folder where save win98SetupFolder and run setup.exe

Like this it will not ask you for cdrom.

If you not find this prog (FX) send me your email I will give it to you...

Tell me when you run the boot diskete you have 3 option
1. Install with CD support
2. Install with out CD supprt
3. Can't remeber (it was 1995-1996)
Are you selecting the 1 option?

the 3rd option is to read help file. I will look for fx program, but will it fix the missing driver problem?? For some reason, the boot doesn't recognize cdrom...do u know if i need to add a line or change bios item? Thanks for inputs.

here are the instructions for makeing a boot floppy barts way:
go to the URL I provided above, then scroll down about half way to "Auto-creat the boot disk". Download the BFD Full Package, and extract it to C:\BFD. Then open a command prompt, if on XP/win2k go to start then click run, type CMD press return. If on 98 goto start, run then type command. if you are not at the C: level, i.e a different folder, then type cd\ and press enter. This will take you to the root level of C. If on a different drive letter, then type c: press return.
type "cd bfd" press enter
type bfd cdrom and press return. Follow the onscreen prompts. This will creat the floppy cdrom root disk that you need.

Good Luck

thanks for help....one more quick question... i download package from 2nd computer onto floppy disk and then boot original computer (win98) with boot floppy...remove boot floppy- insert nw floppy with this package, then extract to c: drive and then run program?

well i did everything it stated and put it on computer... didnt work... went to website and realized that this is for winxp only...not win98...which is what im having trouble with. Unless you know that it does work on win98.... i can't get it to run... any other ideas for win98 system

youve got to add it into the config.sys and autoexec.bat otherwise it doesn't know what to load and what driver to fetch. Usually its something like this... for autoexec.sys I think its:

LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:whatever_driver

and I think config.sys is:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:and_whatever_driver

Just replace the end with what ever driver is needed. Maybe this will do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom