WinXP Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, try just one stick of mem. If that doesn't work, disable the following (yes, it'll be slow but it'll pin point the problem): cache in the bios also give more details of the BSOD error... do you get IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL??? maybe a page fault in non paged area? Looks like maybe memory related, though. More details, however, would be helpful. Also, check in the admin under event viewer. What does it say there...

ON the LLF--I agree with Beedubya,,

it can F-UP your HD if you do it incorrectly , and on some of the larger drives,,

It should be done with caution with someone who understands that parameters to set for the formatting,,

I am glad that you know your stuff on it Claw,, not everyone does,, and sometimes erring on the side of caution is the best advice to give some of the Noob Pc users,,

my two cents,,

cheers,,

PS,, for the thought on the original post,,

I would have said hardware failure,,

You did well ICeDragon!

cheerio

I would have to agree with claw. On older HDD, yes a LLF is a bad thing. Much of the HDD info was contained on a special partition and LLF would wipe that and you'd have to recreate either (depending on manufacturer) with supplier software to recreate said info, and also on some HDD you could just manually set all the info in the bios. Newer HDD have that info on a contoller chip on the HDD, so LLF wont wipe that info. However, if you LLF and it just keeps running and running, THAT can cause problems but usually if that happens then the HDD is dead, anyhow. The important thing to remember is do NOT let it fix any errors if running a first aid program that is not meant for you HDD/manufacturer.

I had this problem about one week ago and i just had it again today. To fix the NTLDR and NTDETECT error by copying the files from a working hard drive. To fix the boot error problem i made my own boot.ini file and copyed it to the root dir of my HD

oh, I do have one thing to say. Do NOT LLF on a cold drive. Let it warm to its normal op ranges. In other words, let it run for 1/2 or so. It wont permanently destroy the HDD, but if u dont do that and u get problems, you'll have to LLF AGAIN, this time at normal temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom