Upgrade to 4GB = CRASH!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
New problem, I just purchased 2 more gigs of ram for my cpu... and after I installed them I noticed my computer would crash after about 5 minutes or less of being turned on... no bsod no nothing... just straight turns off... then restarts it's self

Q6600
8800GTX
4x1GB Crucial Ballistix
Corsair 550vx
Vista 32 Home Premium
Gigabyte p35ds3r

Any thoughts?

I guess I'm reading here... that the 8800GTX and going over 2GB of ram... due to however vista shares memory... doesn't get a long too well... what do you all think?

edit: sorry for not originally editing, it's been a bit since I was last on here...

My first thought would be that 1 of the new sticks of memory is bad. Have you run memtest86 on it? Also, vista has a built in memory tester. Make sure you have the voltage on the memory set to at least +.2V in the bios. Ballistix are rated for 2.2v and the ds3r defaults to 1.8v. So either you arent getting enough voltage to the memory or you got a doa stick.

Alright, so things went from bad to worse I figure... I'm on my roomies laptop right now....

After installing by model (not by look), what appeared to be the same sticks of ram I had... the computer would just turn off... no bsod no nothing...

Well, I decided to take the two sticks of NEW ram out... well then it started bsod'ing before it would even boot... so I swapped out ram and it was doing the same thing...

I managed to boot from my vista cd and run a repair on it... which now it boots!.... but to a black screen and a cursor? doesn't matter if I try safemode or anything else... I've tried using two of the seperate sticks... and one of each stick... still the same out come... just sit's there.. black screen and cursor....

I've tried running the memory diagnostics on it and it told me it would tell me the next time it booted... but, I can't get it to boot all the way to tell me lol...

I'd like to just blame vista... just for the simple fact I don't wanna think that putting in my two NEW ram sticks fried all 4...

Help??

----

EDIT: I'm also starting to notice on MS Forums, that I'm not the only one with this issue... just the circumstance that lead up to the issue is unique for me.... most people install some driver etc... that results in the same situation I'm in right now... maybe since I've got the "system builders" edition, they'll let me transfer my users license to xp lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom