Computer works when horizontal only?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefpuff

Beta member
Hi all,

Sorry for asking a question having just joined the community, but I'm in a bit of a tight spot.

Yesterday my computer was working fine. I stood up and as I walked past the computer, I knocked it very slightly. The monitor went blank and to standby mode. I thought that the cable connecting the monitor to the computer had come loose but it turned out that wasn't the case. I turned off my computer, turned it back on, and only the fans were working... no image on the screen, no BIOS beep codes.

I figured one of the cables inside the computer had gone loosed so I opened up my case and made sure all the cables were properly in place. I then hooked up my computer (still horizontal and open) and everything worked again... BIOS beep, windows started loading. I closed the case, put the computer back in position (upright) and same problem as before. Put it back horizontally, it worked. :confused:

This morning it won't work in any position. The fans turn on, but nothing else happens. I've reconnected all the cables, reset BIOS, unplugged my CD drive and HD and tried rebooting it, cleared out all the dust. Nothing works.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Based on looking around the internet, it seems that it could either be a problem with the motherboard or the PSU (however I haven't found anyone with the exact same problem as me).

Thanks so much for any help!
Beefpuff :)

Horizontally, that is just weird, how old is the computer? Are all of your components beyond things like RAM or CPU plugged in completely? If not then you might want to check and make sure everything is completely seeded into the motherboard.

Usually if it were a problem with the cpu etc, it's usually going to give a bios beep, but it seems that a plug into the MOBO or otherwise isn't plugged in correctly.

Check everything, 24v plug, any plugs directly into the PC what so ever and then while it's laying down see if anything inside the PC moves or falls into place differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom