Radeon X1950 Pro AGP replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looby

In Runtime
hey guys i need a new video card (upgrading form 9600xt) i was looking at the sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro AGP but newegg stopped selling it...? i found it other places Sapphire X1950Pro 512MB 100171L ATi Radeon AGP 8X Video Card Dual DVI, VGA, HDTV, TV-Out, DirectX 9.0, Shader Model 3.0: 100171L (Retail) (Discontinued) but i see discontinued under it and im wondering what is the replacement? why was it discontinued? i want something that will last me a few more years and i am pretty broke so i cant spend a bunch of money to upgrade the entire system. so ideas is there a better card i have seen the 7900GS from nvidia but the specs are better on the ati card... idk i have not seriously even looked at cards since i bought my 9600xt years ago so any advise would be helpful. just so you guys know i will throw specs up for you to help in suggestons

PC specs:
ASUS P4S800D-X
P4 3.0E Ghz Prescott
2 GB Corsair XMS PC3200
250 GB WD HDD
500 GB WD HDD
650 Watt BFG PSU (obviously power will be no problem)
Cooler Master Aquagate water cooling system
ATI 9600XT

here is that video card link again

Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro AGP
Sapphire X1950Pro 512MB 100171L ATi Radeon AGP 8X Video Card Dual DVI, VGA, HDTV, TV-Out, DirectX 9.0, Shader Model 3.0: 100171L (Retail) (Discontinued)

Edit: Totally had to revise my post... thought you said X1650 Pro.

Not sure what to recommend in the X1950 Pro area... but you might want to just relax for a little bit. I hear the new 38XX series cards are being released on the AGP interface. If you're looking to spend that much cash... might want to wait for that.

Agp is dead, youre not gonna get a card thats gonna last "years", especially in agp. You need to upgrade to pci-express.

You need to upgrade to pci-express.
Meh. You make do with what you have when you have to.

Yes, the X1950 Pro has been discontinued, but it is still a good card. Just because they don't produce it anymore doesn't mean it quits working.

Agp is dead, youre not gonna get a card thats gonna last "years", especially in agp. You need to upgrade to pci-express.

actually theres a rumor going around about an HD3850 coming to AGP..... TomsHardware mentioned it.. in their VGA Guide

AGP isn't dead, but it's not live and thrashing around either. With an X1950PRO, you should be able to play current and recent games quite well, except Crysis of course. It might last you a decent three (maybe even four) years before it really has to go for sure.

Just to give you an idea, to be able to play Crysis on absolute lowest settings with a res of 800x600 at ~24 fps you'd need a Geforce 6200. That's a 4 year old card and it's also the low end card from that generation... Crysis ain't a good example, but my old X1950GT (which is weaker than the PRO) was playing Unreal Tournament 3 Beta at 50-60 fps on 1280x1024, but it's a very cpu-bound game. That single core P4 is gonna slow you down in a lot of games. Not much you can do there. But you gotta work with what you have and judge for yourself if it's really worth investing in a new gaming rig or just using a little money to extend the life of your computer to some extent.

probably will be.. compare the PCI-e and AGP Gecube x1950xt... big price difference huh?

hey Merkwürdigliebe quick question at first you said with the 1950pro i would be able to play current games EXCEPT crysis but then you go on to say a 6200 the 4 year old card will play it so why would the brand new card not play it?

i have looked at the specs for the x3850 and it looks awesome idk i may wait i may not but man that x3850 looks cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom