Q6600 Lapping and New Mobo thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ste

Do not Stare at my Avatar
This is a thread to show off my new Abit IX38 Quad GT motherboard and to show the lapping process.
Here is a review for the motherboard if you are interested.
Abit IX38 QuadGT Review - hosted by Neoseeker
Below is a picture of the motherboard and some MX-2 thermal paste.

Here is an untouched Q6600.

I begin with 30 or so passes of 320 grit sandpaper. You can see the writting is gone and it begins to look like a mirror.

I move onto 1000 grit. The pciture below is after 40 passes if not more of 1000 grit sand paper.

Then onto 1500 grit. The image below is after 40 if not more passes of 1500 grit sand paper. Very shiney.

And I finish, with the most passes on 2000 grit sandpaper. So after about 60 if not more passes, this is the end result. No nickle is left and I am able to see my reflection.

My final steps:
I cleaned the top and bottom of the cpu off with Alcohol. I did it to the bottom t make sure there is NO skin oil on any of the contacts. I then use compressed air on both sides to make sure all alcohol is evaporated and then I plop it in the board.

Updates finished, I will now go install windows and see if all my overclocking issues have been solved.

Overclocking voids the warranty too, so what harm is lapping. BTW, ste did you not get rid of the nickel plating? I'm pretty sure thats how i got most of the gain on my lap.

what are the temp gains when lapping, fellas?

do you do the HSF the same way?

heh my cpu only cost me 65 bucks (read: expendable) and i need a new one to test anyway, so im thinkin i will try it this weekend.

my temps are great now, but in the summer its hot as h3ll here.

the temp benefits really vary from chip to chip. Also on AMD you've got to be a tad more careful as there are pins on the CPU that can be bent.

Honestly if your temps are fine and not holding back your OC in any way I'd just leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom