Please help me teach my computer-illiterate parents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paco joe

Solid State Member
My parents are old-fashioned people who know next to nothing about computers and Windows. They actually have a lot of experience browsing the web, but with WebTV's. I hate those odious devices.

I've been trying to get them used to working with files and folders in Windows Vista, and using Firefox and all that, but I don't think I have enough time to help them get really comfortable with it. If they're not comfortable with it, they'll probably just stick with their damned WebTV's. I could go on and on describing these people, but they're kind of resistant to change.

Is there a book or something out there that is good for teaching complete noobs how to use a computer? "Windows Vista for Dummies" or something like that? For a while I was thinking something along the lines of the "Video Professor" CD's or something like that, but I have my suspicions of that specific company.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

From my experience, people who dont want to learn never will. My Mom is on of these people who will just never use the technology unless she is forced to. In answer to your question try looking for something call the PC doctor, or wizard, I remember a lot of commercial with him showing peopel how to learn to use computers. It was a pretty simple explination of how to do that stuff, but I dont know if they have a vista lesson or not, its worth a shot.

Paco,
Have you thought about setting up the WebTV next to the computer. Then, have parents go to a list of different sites while you do the same on the PC. Show them how much faster it is to navigate on a PC. (You might see what sites they use on their WebTV and typical things that they do on each site.) See if you can beat them with your skills. Once they realize that the PC can do it faster, they would most likely be willing to change. Oh, and tell them that my 75 year old grandmother uses Vista.

I know I hate the fact that my 14 year old can do some things that I can't do, and I know a lot.

From my experience, people who dont want to learn never will.
That's true. It's also true that there are people who want to learn and never will. My grandma is one. She really wants to learn, but she just can't get it. She has to call me for every little simple thing, even if it's self-explanatory. I'll explain to her how to do things and she has to write everything down. She's a maestro on the piano and can program a synthesizer keyboard, but she just can't get computers even though she wants to and keeps at it.

As much as it pains you, if your parents just like WebTV more, you may be better off just letting them do what they like.

Some people just dont want to learn PC's. That is their choice. If they are happy with WebTV and they are paying for it. Let them have it. I mean why try to force them to do this? Would you like it if they forced you to stop using a PC and only use WebTV? No. Dont try to force them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom