My hard drive is keeping me from booting to a windows pro xp setup disk!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss4vegito7

Beta member
I was recently running windows XP professional on my Compaq 1900 laptop when my hard drive crashed, so I searched on ebay and bought the exact same model MK6014MAP (Toshiba). When i got the drive I put it in my laptop and turned it on. It didn't automatically recognized the hard drive so I put the Compaq recovery disk in to help the BIOS recognize the drive, it worked and I was able to boot from the windows XP pro setup disk. While setup was formatting my hard drive it crashed at 94%!!! So i turned off my computer but this time the BIOS didn't recognize the hard drive. So I put in the Compaq recovery disk in again and the BIOS recognized it once again but this time my Laptop won't Boot from the XP cd it just gave me a black screen. I tried booting from the cd with the hard drive removed and it works perfectly!! Can some body please help me! I love this laptop and can't live without it!!!

I am A+ certified with no experience under my belt so this is just my fart in the wind. I think you may need to look into updating the motherboards BIOS. Your BIOS should have no trouble recognizing the HDD. If that doesn't work I'd try contacting Compaq's technical support team. Hope that helps :/

i've looked a little into updating the bios but haven't really found any updates. The bios is PHOENIXBIOS 4.0 RELEASE 6.0.9

you need to figure out what motherboard your using and then try to locate the manufacturer's website for the BIOS update. If you do decide to update be carefull to follow the directions exactly as you could possibly render your system usless if done incorrectly. You can usually figure out what motherboard you have by either calling tech support for your computer manufacturer or by opening it up and looking for the model number on the actual motherboard. Sometimes if you go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information you can find helpful info. Check there to see if it mentions your motherboard.

Its possible, but hope not, that the HDD isn't bad (like the prev one). Could be loose IDE connection. Put the drive in a port cage and hook it to a desktop. If it works there then its either IDE cable, maybe the BIOS, or (hate to say it) the controller chip on the MBD is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom