Mini-review: X1900XT 512mb vs Powercolor 3850 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
Hopefully this post will help those of you who have 7-series or x1900s to determine whether upgrading to a 3850 512mb is worth it.

The Card

First of all, here's the card side by side with my old x1900xt 512mb. You can see how small the core is in comparison. Card length is identical. The memory cooling is a bit funky and I have some spare heatsinks to put on there but I figured I would just leave it for the moment. I also put the card straight under water with my mcw60 so I won't comment on the cooler.

img2938gl3.jpg

Test Setup

All benchmarks were done with the AtiTrayTools slider at max quality. 6xAA and 16x AF is run on all benchmarks unless stated otherwise (ut3 has no AA in dx9 mode, 3dmark06 does 4xAA...etc) Unfortunately Crysis and DiRT were acting funky and I wasn't able to determine the problem (been having problems with these 2 ever since I had my x1900gt) so I'm not able to include them.

For all the tests my rig is setup as such:

-Q6600 @ 3.3ghz
-2gb Ballistix 920mhz
-P5B Deluxe
-XP Pro x64
-Cat 7.11 drivers from AMD/ATI site

Benchmarks and Games to be tested:

-Call of Duty 4
-X3: Reunion
-Unreal Tournament 3
-3dmark06 GPU tests (sm2/sm3)
-Lightsmark

Results (fps except in 3dmark06)

ALL DONE AT 1280x1024

77258377yl9.jpg

33328202vt1.jpg

Conclusion

I'll allow everyone to draw their own conclusions...but personally I'm pleased with this upgrade as I saw a pretty significant performance jump from my x1900; and also after reselling my x1900 and purchasing the 3850 I was left with a net loss of 25 quid. Not bad. Obviously the 8800GT is a much better card, but it's also significantly more expensive.

Other stuff

-I noticed that once the memory was overclocked the heatspreader was burning hot to the touch, so I'll definitely throw on some ramsinks to keep the temps down.
-This is the first card I've ever seen that gives you a message while POSTing telling you that you don't have the PCI-E power plugged in.

UPGRADE DEFINITELY WORTH IT...

dude Gurusan you actually sound like an AnandTech Reviewer..

hrmmm well actually w/ the 2900pro and my 8800gtx when i don't have my pci-e plugged in.. the card itself actually made a really loud whine... and dear jesus it was annoying!!!

and very nice review!!!

thanks :D . Now I think next on my list is the new 8800GTS as those things are beasts. Gotta upgrade my cooling first though. Was hitting 70c in 3dmark06...darned B3

Also I just did a quick 3dmark06 run @ standard settings and gpu @ 756/1098 and got:

06lz8.jpg

thats a really nice score!! the new ati cards are a steal for their price

great upgrade you chose! pretty much doubled your 3d performance

Yeah for 25 quid in the hole it was a darn good upgrade. To be sure there are better cards out there but I haven't found anything it doesn't play at awesome framerates @ 1440x900 except for crysis of course.

I'll probably hang on to this one for awhile until the new 8800GTS cards come down in price, or perhaps when the 3870x2 comes out. So many blazing fast cards are coming out that are soo cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom