A few more questions about OC'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGlazer

In Runtime
It's my first time Overclocking and things have been going well so far (I spent a lot of time reading posts from this forum/other forums/reviews/etc.) But there's a few things I need to get cleared up.

1.) In my BIOS, when I set my Vcore to lets say 1.3; it doesn't show 1.3 in CPU-Z. I read this as being called Vdroop......... I use a P5B Deluxe and read the pencil trick to minimize this significantly. My question is: what is my Vcore really at? 1.3 (Indicated by BIOS)? or 1.265 (Indicated by CPU-Z)?

2.) I read that the C2D chips are best set at Synchronous timings (1:1). Setting them at Asynchronous timings will cause minimal performance gains with a lot more heat, which isn't worth it. Is this true?

3.) I just bought my Tuniq Tower 120, and was wondering which case to re-locate my System in. An Antec900 or P182? (I am not going to modify the case after I buy it) I've read a lot of reviews on both, and was curious what some of the more knowledgable members on this forum think.

Thanx for your time and help so far; OC'ing has become addictive, haha.

both are great cases with great airflow(so ive heard, i own a 900 and it was great), and it looks like they'd both fit the tuniq tower.

the fact that the p182 has a solid door (no vents) and a front intake fan confuses me...

its up to you on looks, mostly. i have a feeling people will lean more towards the 900 (probably the most reccomended case on these forums)

the only big complaint ive really seen about the 900 is that cabling gets a bit messy because theres no pre-drilled holes in the motherboard tray.

ummm.. the front grill gets very dusty very fast?

you can't mount a side intake fan with newer video cards?

psu is bottom mounted(so is the p182's) - not really sure why that's an issue because my psu worked just fine mounted at the bottom... maybe cable length on their psu?

what kind of modding do you mean?

Yea, I also read about the dust problems, the poor cable management inside.

Modding, like using a dremel (sp) and cutting out a few holes in the case. I just want to buy a case, and it'll be good the way it is without having to put work into it.......

Yea, I also read about the dust problems, the poor cable management inside.

Modding, like using a dremel (sp) and cutting out a few holes in the case. I just want to buy a case, and it'll be good the way it is without having to put work into it.......

it all depends on how much effort you want to put into the case... im sure most users who buy(and enjoy) the case dont mod the case to route their wires. its definately doable unmodded. it's just a lot more convenient if you make a few shortcuts for yourself (via the dremel)

the dust wasnt really a problem for me, when i opened up the case the only place that dust was visible was the sleeved PSU cords(which were caked)... it would build up on the front grills around the fans, but it had no bad effect aside from looks... if anything its showing how well the intake fans work :)

just... dont waste money on another fan thinking you'll be able to mount it on the side panel. newer video cards are big, and the frame of the fan will hit the card. also, it says another fan can be installed inside the case... what a load of crap, the fan bracket is on the back of the HDD tray, why put a fan on either side of the HDD? intake/exhaust(for the HDD) can be covered by just the front intake fan

My 900 came with holes predrilled in the mobo tray. If you're clever enough and the cables on your psu are long enough then wire management shouldn't be an issue even without modding contrary to popular belief. I'm pretty satisfied with the way mine turned out at any rate.

The dust is certainly an issue but that is a universal issue that every case has, unless your comp is in a clean room or something.

I agree with Duftard about the optional additional HDD cage fan - it's a joke, and it can't even be mounted on the HDD cage if there are HDD's in it, it has to be mounted on an empty cage (it even says this in the manual).

I have a 900 and have no cable managment problems andits unmodded. As for the side fan, the video cards arent the problem, but with a large heatsink such as the TRUE or tuniq tower, the fan will hit it. Also, would you prefer the dust not stick to the front mesh and just go right on into the computer?

I have no experience with the p182 but i love my antec 900.

Oh also, the only time you will benefit from running synchronous 1:1 is if you have your FSB set to 400 or higher. If you have less than a 400mhz FSB, set the ram speed manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom