Testing CPU without heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
A friend dropped off a dozen or so pulled AMD athlon XP cpus that have a bent pin or two, I've straightened them out and was just wondering if I can test them without the heatsink without doing any damage? It would be to the post screen as HD doesn't have an OS on it. Just takes so long to pull cpu, clean compound, re-apply to heatsink and then start all over....12-15 times or so. not really worth it.

Opinions?

I've done it before on accident, because it was my first build and i thought the heatsink was on properly on my socket A motherboard, but it wasn't so it fell off right before I turned it on. and my computer wouldn't even power on w/o the heatsink, so iono if your method is even possible to test.

Sooooo....no then.

Lol, nothing like a resounding consensus, figured this but was hoping just powering it to post screen would not produce the same temps.

Ah well, will do the no thermal paste run and see how they go.

Thanks guys.

No even running a post is going to put enough voltage through it to fry an egg without a heatsink.

there's a video on youtube of an exploding opteron. don't know why they would blow up a perfectly good cpu but it was funny as ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom