CD Drive Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercenary88

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm having trouble with my CD Drives.

In my Win2000, when I put in a CD in the drive and run it, the drive does not detect the CD. Or is seems like the computer does not recognize the CD Drive. When I go into my computer, I can see all my drive but when I double click on a drive that has a CD in it and I get "Disk is not formatted. Do you want it format now?" like the error you get with the floppy drive. If I click no, nothing happens and if I click yes it just tells me that it can not be formatted and thatÂ’s it.

The thing is I have dual boot with WinXP and on WinXP the CD drives works fine. So thereÂ’s nothing wrong with the connection or something. It's more of an internal problem but I don't know what.

Can someone help me? Any suggestion will be helpful.

Thanks

how do you know the drive works fine?
I had a 4x burner (came with this computer) that one day just stopped working. I could open and close the drive, but it woudn't actually read CD's and when the BIOS tried to detect it, it just sat there for about a minute, then it gave up and booted without detecting it

he stated that he has dual boot, winXP and win2k. It works in XP but not in 2k... what kind of cd drive is this? Give some details, as well as system configs.

yes, killians45 thank you for pointing out that I did mention I have dual boot.

Anyway, I actually have 3 drives. One is a TDK CD-RW, DVD-ROM, and a 52x CD-ROM. They all don't work out in win2k for some reason. oh, yes and my floppy drive don't work either.

my system is costom built by me

athlon XP 2200+
1GB ram
80 GB hardrive
MSI mother board
the 3 drives and the floppy drive
Nvidia geForce 4 440

thanks if you can help.

hmmm.... that is odd. Well, rule out any hardware issues. Wonder if its a problem in the HAL. Have you udpated chipset drivers for 2k? Maybe thats all it needs. Also whats the latest SP installed for 2k?

HI, umm im not sure what HCL is. Can you explain what that is? To update the chipset do I go to the mother board company website? and I have SP5 installed for 2k.

thanks

yep, goto the MBD manufacturer web site and look up MBD chipset drivers. HCL = Hardware Compatability List... HAL is Hardware Abstraction Layer (dont need to worry about that, just the accros are so close ;) ) Oh, also if you right click and then click explore, does it at least let you check the files on cd? And do audio cd's work?

hmm nothing seems to be working...i went to that web site and followed it but it's so confusing. I did it but it's still the same.

and I can't right click it and explor the computer thinks theres no cd in it. and same with the audio cd.

hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom