Questions for anyone who has or has owned a 7900GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalOwns

In Runtime
I've been doing some reading (mainly because I've been having trouble flashing new speeds to my GPU BIOS) and I came across some stuff that said you could flash the 7900GTX bios to the GS for more OCing potential. I downloaded a GTX bios (rev 04) and when I opened it in Nibitor, the voltages were set at 1.4 (GS's are set at 1.2). The only thing is, is my card is already physically voltmodded. So what would I have to do here? Nothing? Remove the ink/pencil off the card? Has anyone who has or owned a 7900GS done this, and how did it turn out?

Here's a thread about creating the "GSX"
7900GS + GTXBios = 7900GSX - NotebookForums.com

Downloaded BIOS:
ReMOSitory :: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 8600 GTS 7950 7900 7600 ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX X1950 XT X1900 X1650 - MVKTech

Well, first. Its already physically voltmodded, so why would you need to reflash to 7800GTX?
Second, i dont think thats even possible, it may show up, but it wont actually change your voltages.
Third, The 7900GS is a much better OCer than the 7800 series cards, therefore just stick with the original bios.

I had my old 7900GS at 700/1700 which is an amazing clock for that card.

I owned a EVGA 7900 GS about a year ago. I had done the 1.5v mod and hit like 800 on the core and 1800 on the memory. With the 1.7v, I hit 900 on the core but lost some on the memory even with the pencil mod. The 1.7v mod needed a resister and a potentiometer which I fastened to the card but from moving the pc around alot it shorted out and killed the card. Try the 1.5v conductive pen mod and the 2.2v I think it was pencil mod for memory and you should hit 800/1700 at the least.

Get better cooling for sure. Like a vf-900 and run it at 100% fan speed or a arctic cooler 5.

Probably should have read the whole post you put cause I was pretty redundent. Just leave the bios alone like he said and try for better cooling like I said.

It's the 7900GTX BIOS, not the 7800GTX. I was thinking about the whole thing a few minutes after I posted this thread, and I think the only reason that the GS with the GTX BIOS overclocks better, is because the voltages are changed in the GTX BIOS. So flashing it to the GTX wouldn't do jack for me, since it's already voltmodded.

I've got the core at 694 @ 1.5v and the memory is at 984 @ 2.24v. I've got a fan blowing onto the card and one pulling air away from it right now. My idle temp is only about 3 degrees higher than the stock volts.

Thanks guys. I think I'll do some more research into that GS to GTX BIOS flashing mod. Seems like I don't need it though.

It's the 7900GTX BIOS, not the 7800GTX. I was thinking about the whole thing a few minutes after I posted this thread, and I think the only reason that the GS with the GTX BIOS overclocks better, is because the voltages are changed in the GTX BIOS. So flashing it to the GTX wouldn't do jack for me, since it's already voltmodded.

I've got the core at 694 @ 1.5v and the memory is at 984 @ 2.24v. I've got a fan blowing onto the card and one pulling air away from it right now. My idle temp is only about 3 degrees higher than the stock volts.

Thanks guys. I think I'll do some more research into that GS to GTX BIOS flashing mod. Seems like I don't need it though.

nah, its really only for bragging rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom