Problems with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TowaruTsura

Solid State Member
I'm running a laptop with a Dual boot Vista and XP. Now, I've had an odd problem a few times with the XP partition. Every now and then, the laptop will randomly shut off. No warning at all. It's just off. And at that point, pushing the power button is non-responsive unless I unplug the power cord, then put it back in. However, I KNOW this is not a hardware problem, because Vista has no such thing occurring. So I've dismissed the idea of an intermittent power supply failure. Also, it doesn't seem like a heat issue, because the laptop isn't particularly hot...And for another reason, discussed below.

So, the question now is...What IS going on here? It hasn't been a real problem until lately, when I've installed my old copy of UT2K4. At that point, when I tried to run a server, it went fine for a while, albeit with no players, and a friend trying to connect to me. Strangely, the problem occurred. I tried again, and it happened much faster this time, and not only that, but the partition refused to boot, instead immediately showing the problem right before the OS had fully booted. Almost panicking, I went to Vista, and was shocked to learn that not only was the Vista partition just fine, somehow the XP partition had gotten switched from F: to D:. Figuring that's what caused the problem, I changed it back and immediately ran a virus scan, finding nothing.

Now I'm VERY confused, and the XP partition is back to normal. I run a virus scan on the UT2K4 folder, and the problem occurs once more when I get into the textures folder. I'm typing this from my XP partition, and I haven't yet experienced it as long as I don't touch UT2K4. This is freaking me out. It's not a virus, it's not a power supply failure, and it isn't overheating.

Oh yea, the other reason it's not caused by overheating is that I've run games FAR more graphically intense, such as STALKER or FEAR on this XP partition, and never really had this problem. I've only ever had it when not running a game, and then it was once in a blue moon.

So, any help?

Uh...No, that wouldn't help at all, that would make me OS-less. o_O Do you mean format the XP partition and reinstall XP? Because if you mean what you said, you really didn't read. I said XP was having the problem. Vista is NOT having the problem.

sorry, yes i ment the xp partition.( i got confuse because you said the xp(instead of vista) was back to normal) Re-instally could work. If i may ask, why do you need both vista and xp on the same comp

sorry, yes i ment the xp partition.( i got confuse because you said the xp(instead of vista) was back to normal) Re-instally could work. If i may ask, why do you need both vista and xp on the same comp
Because there are apps out there that only work in XP. Plus if you are a gamer XP is still faster for games than Vista. There is only a few Vista games out there right now that dont work on XP. So a dual boot setup is the best choice.

It seems that your install of UT2004 is what is causing all of this. Uninstall that. Remove all folder and all things related to UT. Se if that solves the problem. Then from there re-install UT if everything seems okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom