overclocking my 4200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

hickfarm

In Runtime
Alright i have read reviews that say my cpu can reach 2.7ghz easily without a voltage change.

here is the review. Legit Reviews - Overclocking the AMD A64 4200+ AM2 Processor - What Can $184 Get You?

Here is my proc. but it is the 1.35 volt one. Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Processor - Retail

Here is my motherboard.
Newegg.com - Open Box: DFI INFINITY NF ULTRAII-M2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

and the ram
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I have a zalman 9700, and an Antec 550 psu.

I have put a divider on my memory and have kept the multiplier at 11x for the fsb

I changed the other multiplier to 4x like the one in legitreview.com review on cpu.

Anyways it seems i can't get past 2.45 ghz cause ortho keeps crashing on it and at 2.5 windows won't even boot. So if you have any idea what i an doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

i have that same cpu and it wont reach that high with stock voltage. with the zalman you should be fine up to about 1.5ish. just watch the temps.

also, try lowering the HT multiplier to 3x.
also, if you didnt lower your ram speed it is probably overclocked too much. try setting it to ddr2 667, or set it to ddr2 533 and max your cpu clock. then you can try to raise the ram back up. at 2.7 you should be able to run it at ddr2 667, and it will be overclocked a little.
but for cpu max oc, lower it to 533 and see how high you can get your chip.
my 4200 will go to about 2.9ghz
theres no way it is going to be stable at 2.7 with stock voltage IMO.

My ram is underclocked a ways. Also i have set to stock voltage at 2.1

what board do you have nagasama. 1.5ish maximum volts is good to know. also my board says it is recommended to have 667. Will this affect it much to have 800 ram in it. Cause the bios has the option for 800mhz stock. I will try raising the voltages some and see how that makes a difference.

Leave your ram at ddr2 667 for now while you have the CPU overclocked. Be sure the Ram's voltage is at 1.8v

Like nagasama said, lower the HT multi. to 3x. Raise your voltage to like 1.37v or something.. And try for a higher clock. I have ran my cpu to 1.42 volts just fine on a zalman cnps 9700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom