Help me pick a video card and Ram. (Still total noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakie

In Runtime
Alright, I set out to get a new MOBO/CPU, Monitor and Ram for the mobo, and then decided a new graphics card would be nice... So here we go.

I've decided on this so far.

Monitor: Samsung 226BW 22" widescreen LCD
MOBO: Asus M2V-MX SE
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 AM2

So, what I need:
2 gigs ram
Video card up to $200 (not too much over that)

Again, im studying to become a sound engineer, so i'll be recording and mixing studio quality CD's, I also game a fair bit, but im not looking to play Crysis on max settings, a great "Bang for the buck" card is what im looking for, but if there is something thats really *That* amazing for a little bit more, i'll definitely consider it.

I never planned on OC the processor (A sin I know) so I am actually very happy with this MOBO/CPU combo so don't worry about that :D

Last thing. PLEASE put a link to the item you recommend, I really am pretty nooby with PC's.

Thanks very much for reading :D

If you are adamant about not overclocking then AMD is fine...otherwise Intel is a MUCH better choice...especially if you will be encoding sound files and stuff.

Anyway...200 dollars for memory AND a video card is cutting it a bit close. If you can stretch to 250 you might be able to get an 8800GT and 2gb of ram....

If you are adamant about not overclocking then AMD is fine...otherwise Intel is a MUCH better choice...especially if you will be encoding sound files and stuff.

Anyway...200 dollars for memory AND a video card is cutting it a bit close. If you can stretch to 250 you might be able to get an 8800GT and 2gb of ram....

$200 just for the video card, you miss read it. I edited it to make it a little more clear.

And yea, im not going to OC, and the mobo this come's with is incapable of OC'ing, i've also been told AMD's don't have much headroom for OC'ing.

Whoever told you that is a moron. A 3600+ stable at 3.1 is a pretty dang good overclock by anyones standards.

It was something I read on here. At any rate, this mobo doesn't support OC'ing, and im ok with that, 2x 3.0ghz is pretty good, and further down the line when I have more money (My main focus is a *Better* processor then what I have, and a big monitor to see lots of app's) I could upgrade again. This PC will last well over a year or two for me.

This is a pretty good card, and its a decent price:
XFX GeForce 7900 GS Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 SLI PCI Express Dual DVI HDTV Video Card PVT71PUDE3 at TigerDirect.com

And yes, amd chips can oc well, just depends on what mobo you have.

Ah, ic, well this Mobo doesn't let you OC, its a micro atx board.

The first card you showed me looks a lot more fun, aside from it being sold out, its perfect. How about this one ?
Newegg.com - XFX PVT88PUDD4 GeForce 8800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail its only difference I see is Core clock 650MHz, instead of 600mhz on the one you showed me.

Are we totally forgetting ATi? I think the HD3870 would be the best card for that build. The AMD 6000+ bottlenecks the 8800GT somewhat, so you may aswell get a slightly slower (even though you wont notice the difference because the AMD chip would have bottlenecked the 8800GT anyway), quieter and cheaper card in the 3870.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom