System comparison and is it a worthy upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Barto

Solid State Member
Current Specs:

Intel P4 3.2ghz
2gig DDR2 pc2-5300 RAM
ATI Raedon 9250 128mb
IDE HDD
It's a Dell, not sure on mobo, onboard sound...if that matters
Get's pretty loud when thing's get intense(gaming, video editting/converting)

Looking to Buy:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2ghz 800fsb
Intel D945gcl Lga775 1066fsb Mobo
2 gig pc2-6400 ddr2 800mhz ram
Nvidia GeForce 8500GT
SATA HDD

I think there's also a AMD equivalent(pricewise) but the speed of the models on AMD's confuse me. I believe it's a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200, "A13g+ Geforce 6100" motherboard. The rest is pretty much the same.

The above setup is basically what I can afford for the moment, reason I'm getting that particular mobo is because it's "included" in the deal. The other option I have for a mobo is "Asus P5vd2-Vm Se" for an extra $20 I believe.

Anyways, I play WoW, some FPS's, watch movies, and convert videos. With my current setup, and what im "looking to buy", would it be a worthy upgrade to satisfy my needs? Would there be a significant improvement in performance? Or just a small boost for what I do? If it'll be a big improvement, AMD? Or Intel?

I kinda want to get a new PC very soon but if it's just a small boost, I'd rather just blow my money on extra xmas gifts. Thanks for your help and opinions.

i think either one would offer a marked improvement over your current system.
if you are not lacking performance now (depends on what games you are playing and what other tasks you use comp for), you can always wait till after xmas.
but either the 5200 or the 4500 would, yes, be a bit faster at ordinary tasks.

build one your own self and most likely for whatever the cost of that E4500/8500GT pre-built is you could build probably an E2180/HD3850 system for some crazy gaming.

build one your own self and most likely for whatever the cost of that E4500/8500GT pre-built is you could build probably an E2180/HD3850 system for some crazy gaming.
yeah listen to sora build ur own = save money and better pc

yeah listen to sora build ur own = save money and better pc

I AM building my own...that's the setup..and im getting a deal on it, $250 for everything from a friend(at least i think it's a deal lol). Is the processor and ram listed that bad? Or what am I missing? Just wanna know if it's worth the upgrade. Or will I just be paying for extra baggage?

$250 for that build is quite adequate, I say take it. I'm assuming that's a fully functional tower? if it's just those parts alone, then I say skip out on it.

ya $250 for everything except the operrating system, mouse/keyboard, and monitor. He's throwing in the case/power supply free. I just have to put it together myself heh.

Thanks, I just wanted some reassurance that I was getting a decent deal for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom