Need 2nd opinion on CPU cooling issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
I'd like to get a second opinion on this issue:

I'm using SpeedFan to monitor the temps on my PC, and the CPU (1.5 Ghz Pent. 4) is idleing at 75c. If you run ANY program, or even browse folders, it goes to 80c. Under a real workload, it will max out at 90c. The CPU is approx. 4-5 years old, and has never been touched since it was first installed.

I'm considering replacing the CPU fan to see if that will make a differance, but it spinning at 3000 rpm, so there doesn't seem to be a problem there.

I'd like to know if anyone here has any other ideas on how to bring this temp down. It NEVER used to be that hot! :confused:

LOL, I have another PC, 2.9 Ghz Celeron, (WAAAY more power) and it idles at 40c; maxes out at 60c under heavy gaming! So it seems logical that my 1.5 Ghz computer should be just as cool, if not cooler than that.

Would love any help you can give! :)

Speedfan is notorious for its innacuracy. If its been running for so long, leave it. I wouldnt put any more money into that old tech.

Yeah, speedfan always gave me BS temps. Check the temp using everest, intel thermal monitor, coretemp, ect. Also, if you haven't done this, take some compressed air, and blow out all the dust in the PC...especially in the heatsink.

I've already cleaned the CPU heatsink, fan, and pretty much the whole inside of the case with compressed air, and I'm still getting a high temp.

Btw, the temp readings I gave you are not just from SpeedFan -- The BIOS is giving me the EXACT same reading.

I can almost use my case as a hand-warmer -- it's that warm, really! :eek:

Got any other ideas for this problem?
I should probably just get a newer, and faster CPU, but I'd like to keep this old one going as long as possible. But without burning up the place. :rolleyes:

(And thanks, MetalOwns, for the other monitor programs!) :D

yea putting money into it is nuts.. whatever heatsink or fan you buy will be worth the same if not more than the cpu itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom