Problem with 3D graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordi05

Beta member
Hi, I do not know the nature of my problem so it was somewhat difficult to choose the correct forum.

I'm having a serious problem with my laptop graphics, and was hoping that someone was able to provide me with some help/answers.

Whenever my laptop is supposed to show 3D graphics it will display a chaos of flickering polygons instead. This applies to everything from flash games, heavy games, and even my standard 3D-text windows screensaver.

Here is a picture of a simple web-browser flash game:
http://i8.tinypic.com/6pr1obk.jpg

Now, I know the issue is related to my Direct3D. When I turn down my hardware accelaeration far enough that Direct3D is disabled, the problem goes away:
http://i4.tinypic.com/6tutyis.jpg

Also, when I run "dxdiag", there is a feature for testing Direct3D. This test is testing with 7, 8 and 9 interfaces. Now, I don't know what this means, but the "test cube" is displaying fine for 7 interfaces, while it is totally messed up for 8 and 9 interfaces:
http://i18.tinypic.com/6ueas95.jpg

I have tried reinstalling drivers, and even reformating my system, with no improvement. So, I fear this is a hardware problem. I first noticed it when playing a game, and it got gradually worse, to the point og hopelessness. However I think it is odd if I burned some chip out and this is the only problem I experience.

Can anyone please tell me if they have any opinion on this problem. I'm out of ideas.

Computer:

Custom ordered (in its time)
1.7 GHz intel centrino processor
ATI Raedon mobility 9700, 128 mb
1 Gb ram

and yes ofcourse, the Warranty is expired.

you have a laptop...
possibility...is this the ati drivers that came with the laptop?

I have an asus laptop, it has an ati chipset, I think x700...I cannot upgrade the software, even if I go to the ati/amd site, choose xp, and the appropriate driver set. Installation says it cannot find appropriate hardware.

so, if you have the original drivers, try using them if you used something else. That and check if the laptop maker has any online drivers to dl.

I just checked more of your screenies...you are using something called omega drivers. These are not official ones yes? Try using plain old, and I mean old, drivers

Thank you for replying.
I am currently using Omegadrivers, yes. They are the recommended drivers for the ATI mobility chips. I don't think ATI themselves produce new drivers for these chips anymore.

However I have the 3 year old original drivers from ATI that came with the laptop. I installed these drivers when I reformated my drive, because they are on the same disk as all my other original drivers.

Sadly this did not solve the problem. Later I installed Omegadrivers again.

You didn't specify whether you have Windows XP or Vista. If you have XP, they do have new drivers for your chip here Drivers & Software

They don't have drivers for Vista, though.

If you happen to have XP, you could try the new drivers.

I am running Win XP Pro. SP2, Directx 9.0c. Should have wrote that in the initial post of course.

The drivers you link to wont let me install them. I get a message saying I should contact my supplier for driver updates. Now, I've gotten this message before, and I seem to remember hearing other people with the same ATI driver issue.

The solution was said to be use of the Omegadrivers. I must stress that the omegadrivers have been working for me for the last 3 years. Other then that, I'm clueless, sorry.

So, I fear this is a hardware problem. I first noticed it when playing a game, and it got gradually worse, to the point og hopelessness. However I think it is odd if I burned some chip out and this is the only problem I experience.

Well, it's very possible. I recently had a Geforce 7600 that I was having trouble with. Everything 2D worked just fine, but my 3D messed up especially the longer I ran it. It turned out that it was something blown on my video card.

Your problem is not exactly like mine, but my problem shows that it is possible for a video card/chip to be blown and for some things to still work properly. From the things you are saying, if it worked fine at one time, and now it just doesn't work, that is a big possibility. That's pretty tough luck since it is a laptop.

Ok, thanks. I fear you are right and it has been my thought as well. It's basically just good for web browsing now.

If anyone else have an opinion or have experienced this, please leave a note though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom