So how much does a decent gaming computer cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Hey guys!

I'm saving up for a new computer at the moment since this ones getting old( 4 years now), although it can play C&C3 okish it has a AGP 7600GS and DDR ram and so you know i need to be getting a new one as soon as i can.

I'm mostly an RTS gamer, so this year coming up i'll be buying supreme commander:FA, C&C3's expansion pack, new Dawn of War expansion pack, Spore(looks cool) and Universe at War: Earth Assault. MAYBE some FPS but generally i buy them for my xbox360, like COD4.

So i need a computer that's going to handle the massing of units well, which i'm guessing means like 4gb ram and very good graphics card.:D

So although prices are obviously going to drop when new stuff comes out( i heard lots is coming out feb-march?) i was wondering, how much would a decent gaming computer cost now, if i bought everything, as in monitor, speakers, OS( i may go vista...:D ) etc. Also how much do think a similar system in say 6 months cost?

Do you think £800-£1000 ( yeah i know kind of a large range..) would be enough?

Grrr i hate you US people and your Newegg, the prices there seem to be way better with some components then overclockersUK, aria, ebuyer, etc:D

As above, the Q6600 is very future proof, especially since it can overclock to 3GHZ and over.

4GB is overkill (Though if you do go that route make sure you get a 64bit OS) Id suggest 2GB of Crucial Ballistix, should be great also the Q6600 is a beast mine is running 3.4Ghz on Air

In 6 months you'll be able to get a 45nm quad core for the same price that the q6600 is going for now. 4gb of memory will be about 100$, decent board 150, vista 64 oem 125, decent monitor 200, keyboard/mouse/speakers ~ 100 bucks. So yes, that will be plenty. My current gaming rig (in sig) cost me about 2000 if i include the monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers.

In 6 months you'll be able to get a 45nm quad core for the same price that the q6600 is going for now. 4gb of memory will be about 100$, decent board 150, vista 64 oem 125, decent monitor 200, keyboard/mouse/speakers ~ 100 bucks. So yes, that will be plenty. My current gaming rig (in sig) cost me about 2000 if i include the monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers.
$2000 = £1000 roughly for any of the uk chaps wondering

Personally I don't believe in playing the waiting game. In 6 months time there will be something else to wait for so just grab it now.

Also if there's something else you want down the line nothing is stopping you from buying it and selling off your old q6600 or whatever you want to change out. If you think of your computer as a static piece of equipment you're not going to get as much value out of it as if you treat it as a liquid asset. I'm always turning hardware into cash for newer hardware.....back and forth back and forth.

The 6 months i was referring to was the OPs timetable. If you are going to buy, just buy when you can afford to. Right now is a perfect time, as memory prices and the q6600 are pretty much as cheap as they are going to get. The only problem people are having with builds right now is getting video cards, because they just cant keep them in stock.

@gurusan- thanks for putting your memory timings in your sig, i got my ballistix running at that now too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom