Disable that really annoying hard drive access sound in Antec 900?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaanish

Fully Optimized
Do you know that really irritating sound that your system makes every time it uses the hard drive that reminds you of really old computers? Well will pulling the Hard Drive access Led wire out of the mobo disable it? Because my system is really quiet and the only thing that you can hear is the hard drive spinning but that noise keeps happening and its REALLY irritating.

EDIT: There isnt a problem with my HD its just that sound that it makes when acessing (im sure you know what im talking about)

Noisey drive? replace the drive! simple formula! You can't blame any case if the drive itself is a noise maker. That doesn't make any sense. Want a quiet drive? Buy one!

The most common complaint about any particular case is the fans in them. Yet the 900 in use here has proven itself as about the quiest case owned even with the extra and larger case fans seen over older builds.

Odd...I don't get the noisy drive in my Antec =\. And I have 2 internal drives, and 2 externals sitting right next to it. Unless its faint...I'll have to have a listen later (on my laptop in bed right now so I can't at the moment xD).

I have to put myself right up close to the 900 here just to distinguish the case fans from the fans in the OCZ GameXStream 700w supply. Forget hearing the one ide and two sata drive installed. Sounds like the read/write heads are clicking away there.

Agreed..... if you are getting loud noises, either

A) The drive might be failing
B) You are getting some kind of vibration with the drive & case when the drive spools up.

Once I complete my build I will check how the drives are without case fans adding to the noise level.

If I hear any sounds coming out of a drive that I don't expect or want then I know it's time to replace it. So far I've been doing quite well over the years of never having a drive fail in any of the builds. But I have simply upgraded too fast since one could be heard only slightly on one old build when simply browsing through the folders.

If I hear any sounds coming out of a drive that I don't expect or want then I know it's time to replace it. So far I've been doing quite well over the years of never having a drive fail in any of the builds. But I have simply upgraded too fast since one could be heard only slightly on one old build when simply browsing through the folders.

Never own a Raptor then. They make a ton of noise when something is writing to them. My HDD's won't make a peep, until I install a game to my Raptor or defrag or something, then it starts making all kinds of noise.

Never own a Raptor then. They make a ton of noise when something is writing to them. My HDD's won't make a peep, until I install a game to my Raptor or defrag or something, then it starts making all kinds of noise.

Gee? That will ba a hard one to sell to those that insist they need one as the OS drive due to the 10,000rpm speed. When a drive starts making nioses it generally isn't a good sign. Noisey drives spell problems ahead. :eek:

While not having used a Raptor due to the lack of drive capacity the WD models have always been quiet. Here I have to look at capacity and will be looking at WD's new Green Power 1tb drives to add in here. The GP line has an energy saving feature that will be helpful for a large storage device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom