Microsoft Says IE More Secure Than Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superdave1984 said:
If you have adequate proterction and a little common sense, you should have no problems. If you like IE, use IE, if you like FF use it, etc.

There it is in a nutshell.

Who mostly uses Firefox? People who know a little about computers and are willing to try something different. These are also the people who would be aware of the threat of viruses and malware and would take precautions.

The majority of people online use IE because it comes with Windows, and they look at the internet as an electronic playground with no clue as to how to protect themselves. "Antivirus? Oh yeah, my computer came with it when I bought three years ago. What do you mean, renew it?"

everything have a flaw. I guess that you missed that part. IE has 38,000 (made up number. but it's a lot)
of them that will never disappears until they get rid of that activex in house spy tool

about your earlier post. in one part you talk about the pc flexibility to work with anything. then you immediately say don't use those everything that a pc can work with

that's contradicting

I don't care what a tech or link says. I never get a computer with 300 viruses from a person that use ff. I've had hundred of computers with that problem from ie users.

ff fixes their flaws. IE will only fix 1 or 2. they only fix them because so many people flocked to ff.

IE was never safe. pre 2003 I use to use netscape because It was safer than ie. I never had a popup telling me that I had a virus and it will delete everything and than do just that. that happen to me with ie once

I will raise the bar. a computer with ff and the no script extension will always be safer than a computer with any version of IE with any add on

There it is in a nutshell.

Who mostly uses Firefox? People who know a little about computers and are willing to try something different. These are also the people who would be aware of the threat of viruses and malware and would take precautions.

The majority of people online use IE because it comes with Windows, and they look at the internet as an electronic playground with no clue as to how to protect themselves. "Antivirus? Oh yeah, my computer came with it when I bought three years ago. What do you mean, renew it?"

That doesn't quite cover it...

As a computer tech, I've introduced a lot of people to Firefox who are simply too computer illiterate for their own good. The number of problems I've seen on their computers following that are negligable... it really does make a difference.

The fact of the matter is that while Firefox does have vulnerabilites that are open to attack, people don't attack them, and they're usually fixed within a few days once they're exposed, not giving script kiddies enough time to do anything with them.

IE is a prime target for a number of reasons:
1. More people use IE
2. IE is a Microsoft product
3. IE doesn't get patched on as regular a basis, and many vulnerabilities remain open long enough to be exploited
4. The average IE user is less savvy than the average firefox user

This sets IE as a target for exploits... Firefox just isn't a target.

Notwithstanding that, firefox is still much, much safer from all of the harmful crap already floating around out there. If you add a few things to it like Adblock and NoScript, it's nearly impenetrable, and not even a complete moron could screw it up - you'd really have to be trying to actually succeed in breaking something.

That doesn't quite cover it...

As a computer tech, I've introduced a lot of people to Firefox who are simply too computer illiterate for their own good. The number of problems I've seen on their computers following that are negligable... it really does make a difference.

The fact of the matter is that while Firefox does have vulnerabilites that are open to attack, people don't attack them, and they're usually fixed within a few days once they're exposed, not giving script kiddies enough time to do anything with them.

IE is a prime target for a number of reasons:
1. More people use IE
2. IE is a Microsoft product
3. IE doesn't get patched on as regular a basis, and many vulnerabilities remain open long enough to be exploited
4. The average IE user is less savvy than the average firefox user

This sets IE as a target for exploits... Firefox just isn't a target.

Notwithstanding that, firefox is still much, much safer from all of the harmful crap already floating around out there. If you add a few things to it like Adblock and NoScript, it's nearly impenetrable, and not even a complete moron could screw it up - you'd really have to be trying to actually succeed in breaking something.

I'm with him ^^^

name one person computer who was ever compromised with ff. I fix computers for a living. I can name hundred of ie users in the same scenario. IE was never safe
I'm not an IE fanboy and I use Firefox. But I think what you are saying is kind of ridiculous. Most people don't get viruses just by surfing the web and going to websites. I know it's possible, but that isn't how it normally happens. The way most people get them is by downloading and installing infested software or by ignorantly opening malicious email attachments. There isn't a thing in the world that Firefox could do to stop that. I know FF is more secure, but it isn't going to make someone immune to viruses, I don't care how many computers you have fixed.

Trotter does have a good point. The majority of FF users are people who know something about computers and therefore probably have better habits.

I'm not an IE fanboy and I use Firefox. But I think what you are saying is kind of ridiculous. Most people don't get viruses just by surfing the web and going to websites. I know it's possible, but that isn't how it normally happens. The way most people get them is by downloading and installing infested software or by ignorantly opening malicious email attachments. There isn't a thing in the world that Firefox could do to stop that. I know FF is more secure, but it isn't going to make someone immune to viruses, I don't care how many computers you have fixed.

Trotter does have a good point. The majority of FF users are people who know something about computers and therefore probably have better habits.

do you think that I care about what you think?

go to myspace. a crack site or where there is free software in ie, the government is putting a trojan on your computer from myspace. you are immune to this with ff. if you don't believe me look it up. I posted an article about it on one of these threads. I'm not going to find it again, because I really don't care what you think.

What I want some one to do is tell me what I need to make FF as safe as possible, tell me all the add-ons I need and when you think that is enough, I will try my best to see if I can infect it using VM-Ware.

What I want some one to do is tell me what I need to make FF as safe as possible, tell me all the add-ons I need and when you think that is enough, I will try my best to see if I can infect it using VM-Ware.

the noscript extension.

don't believe the junk forrestcupp is talking. they can embred viruses in the java on webpages. noscript will disable all javascript and let you manually allow it on sites that you trust.

you see if forrestcupp was to be believed, then there would never be a reason to invent this add on

There is the No Script, No Flash Ad Block...they are all good. But at the same time there are add ons for IE which can do most of this stuff. IE7Pro is close to doing for IE what Extensions do for FF.

Plus i honestly have to say that you are comparing IE and FF. I go to every site in Opera and have yet to get anything. I just did a fresh install of XP and went to several shady sites in Opera and nothing happened. So it isnt just firefox that is safe. Opera is as well.

god complexes....can you tell who has it? I won't proclaim a name...but you can see it in his(or her) posts...but this should be a hint

"do you think that I care about what you think?"

and forrestcupp I'm sure could care less what you think, as many of us here do too. But keep getting that post count up, so everyone knows you exist. ;)

many of us come to forums to look for information or to post opinions, and many of us could also care less about what you think of our posts...that (your) statement in itself speaks of that fact

psychology, it's a good thing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom