Idiot Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandTrout

Beta member
I've got a new Gaming rig planned, but I've been out of the hardware scene for a while, so I wanted to run my plan past some experts to make sure I'm not doing something retarded without realizing it.

My main weak areas are motherboards and power supplies. Anyways, here goes:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9500

MOBO: ASUS M3A AM2

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

GPU: 2x ATI Radeon HD 3850 256MB

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB

PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Crossfire Edition) EPS12V 750W

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower

DVD Drive, Monitor, Keyboard, mouse, and other peripherals are taken care of.

If I'm an idiot, let me know.

Any idea on going with Phenom? with PEryn right around the corner, and Intel is still winning :p.

Everyting looks good but I would maybe change to 4GB of Crucial blalistix with 4X 1GB sticks.

98 dollars for 4GB of Crucia blalistix is a good deal.

Also heatsink for overclocking?

I would steer clear of Phenom for awhile...also you should really consider overclocking as it can save you lots of money.

Get a Q6600, a good cooler like a Tuniq Tower, a PC power and cooling 610w is more than enough power....

Dude, I'm waiting out till February myself, hoping for no delays and maybe even early releases.

February will consist of Intel's release of the upper-mid-range Yorkfield quads (Q9450) and Nvidia's 9 Series. Just be a little patient and you'll be way ahead of the people who are currently investing in Q6600s and 8800GT. The Q9450 will be in almost the same price range as a Q6600. As for the 9-Series, I'm just hoping that this next round of GPUs won't be as expensive as the this current generation of high-ends (GTX/ULTRA).

Oh, by the way, unless you want to contract AIDS, I'd stay away from Phenom.

Thanks for the help, told me everything I needed to know.

I'm gonna stick with the Phenom as it's a little bit cheaper, as is the 2x 3850s rather than an 8800GTS. Also, the 2x2G sticks only cost me $140, and leave room to upgrade to 8Gs if I want to latter on. I did consider both of those paths while picking the parts, but I have reason to go with what I plan.

Again, thanks to everyone.

the phenom is also buggy and slower....also I highyl suggest getting the 512mb 3850s over the 256mb. 256mb just isn't enough for todays games.

haha, so you come in here to double check your planned build, and after everybody makes suggestions, you reject them, you stick to your old plans and say that you have a reason already for doing so?

Why bother even asking us for suggestions then? Are you getting a discount? do you know someone from AMD?

I'm gonna stick with the Phenom as it's a little bit cheaper, as is the 2x 3850s rather than an 8800GTS. Also, the 2x2G sticks only cost me $140, and leave room to upgrade to 8Gs if I want to latter on. I did consider both of those paths while picking the parts, but I have reason to go with what I plan.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Q6600 is $20 more and a lot better than the phenom.

At best, two 3850s will cost around $350 and perform around as good as a GTX if crossfire works well (if it doesn't, you could get significantly less performance). You could instead get the 8800 GTS 512 mb for the same near a GTX performance for around the same price (I assume) without the downsides of crossfire, or just get an 8800 GT, nearly as good as a GTX, and save the rest of the money, perhaps to spend on that $20 more Q6600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom