Dead Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerulean

In Runtime
I'm pretty sure this is the issue but I thought I'd go ahead and double check anyway. I have any old DFI (yeah, not my favorite company either) 939 socket DDR 400 Crossfire capable motherboard. Recently, the computer would get to a point where after only a few minutes of being turned on, it would reboot. After the first reboot it would go through a continuous boot cycle that barely made it past post. At first I thought this was attributed to an overheating processor (X2 4800+), but soon there were more things to come.

It then reached a point where I could no longer get an image on my CRT, a known good monitor. At first I thought this was an issue with my x1900XTX, so I swapped it out with another but continued to have the same issues. I then noticed that while the LED on the DVD-ROM drive would light up, I could not get the tray to eject.

I then noticed that once I could no longer get an image on the monitor, the machine stopped rebooting sporatically, cancelling out the overheating processor theory.

All the fans spin so the system is obviously getting plently of power. Is this an issue with the board? Again, I'm pretty sure it is, but I thought I'd hit up some input just in case.

You may be right. But i would check the power supply first. That is an easier and cheaper part to switch. Just cause the fans spin ( they use very little power) I wouldn't rule out a failing power supply.

Thank you both for your responses.

I have been able to rule out the power supply by testing it in another machine.

DFI seemed like a great deal at the time, but even since my first motherboard (in fact this one) there have been issues. The manual mixed up the post beeps and had both me and a fellow tech troubleshooting the wrong components. Later I purchased another board from them to build for a family member and it was DOA. Thankfully newegg's customer service came through and sent me a replacement. Unfortunately, that one had issues when it came to its PCI-E 16x slots and DFI's customer service was less than parr. I immediately replaced the board with an MSI counterpart and everything worked like it was supposed to. So as you can imagine, when I started getting sporatic hardware issues with my current machine, it almost came as little shock.

*UPDATE*

I replaced the motherboard and now everything works great (hardware wise)!

Now I'm in a different area. This is my first time cleaning up this sort of mess with Vista. The machine boots, and gets to the screen where the Micrsoft load bar appears on the bottom. Then, just before it looks like it's ready to get to the logon screen, it reboots. I'm assuming this is due to the new hardware overhaul. It won't boot into safe mode either but instead reboots at the same place. The only hardware change is the motherboard. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom