Samsung 226BW vs Acer AL2216Wbd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse7

In Runtime
Hey, I was looking to get a new monitor. Im basically down to these two now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
Item=N82E16824009094

and Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DC 3000:1) - Retail So I had a question about the contrast ratio, the samsung shows as this 700:1(DC 3000:1) What exactly is "DC" ? And the Acer just shows as 800:1
Ill mainly be using this monitor for school(sound engineering, and possibly video editing) as well as light gaming(on new games)

The Samsung is definitely superior, but obviously more expensive.

Wikipedia said:
Dynamic contrast ratio

A notable recent development in the LCD technology is the so called "dynamic contrast" (DC). When there is a need to display a dark image, the display would underpower the backlight lamp (or decrease the aperture of the projector's lens using a shutter), but will proportionately amplify the transmission through the LCD panel. This gives the benefit of realizing the potential static contrast ratio of the LCD panel in dark scenes, when the image is watched in a dark room. The drawback is that if a dark scene does contain small areas of superbright light, they may be sacrificed and blown out.

The trick for the display is to determine how much of the highlights may be unnoticeably blown out in a given image under the given ambient lighting conditions.

Brightness, as it is most often used in marketing literature, refers to the emitted luminous intensity on screen measured in candela per square metre (cd/m^2). The higher the number, the brighter the screen.

It is also common to market only the dynamic contrast ratio capability of a display (when it is better than its static contrast ratio), which should not be directly compared to the static contrast ratio. A plasma display with a static 5000:1 contrast ratio will show superior contrast to an LCD display with 5000:1 dynamic and 1000:1 static contrast ratio when the input signal contains full range of brightnesses from 0 to 100% simultaneously. However they will be on par when input signal ranges only from 0 to 20% brightness.

I have the Acer and I love it too.

Can't go wrong either way, I don't think.

Samsung > Acer

Get the Samsung.

Don't worry about contrast ratio, you won't even notice it. I GUARANTEE it. DC is what turns the backlight off to make the dark images/scenes look darker. Trust me, get the Samsung.

Or if you have a credit card or enough cash, go buy the Samsung and Acer and do a side-by-side test (return the one you don't like). I GUARANTEE you, once again, you'll choose the Samsung.

I would say go with the samsung im trying to get that monitor too.I went to check it out at frys the other day trust me the monitor looks awesome.

I havea samsung 19" Syncmaster193v at home, superb monitor. But i ordered a new pc recently and got a Samsung SM-245B 24" Widescreen. Follow this link and read the reviews...look at how many 5* reviews there are. I just think that although this isnt the monitor you are purchasing, this does reassure you that Samsung are a superb manufacturer and you will rarely have problems with their products.

Samsung SM-245B 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black

Samsung > Acer

Get the Samsung.

Don't worry about contrast ratio, you won't even notice it. I GUARANTEE it. DC is what turns the backlight off to make the dark images/scenes look darker. Trust me, get the Samsung.

Or if you have a credit card or enough cash, go buy the Samsung and Acer and do a side-by-side test (return the one you don't like). I GUARANTEE you, once again, you'll choose the Samsung.

Sure it is better, but is it $100 better?

I don't know about that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom